pwr windows slow - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pwr windows slow

what would cause the power windows to slow down to a creep about 3" from the top. Sometimes they stop all together and I have to help them or wait (for the motor to cool off?) I did notice they worked great when it was raining out which got me thinking about putting some graphite in the track as a quick fix. Is the regulator going out or does something need lubricated? I don't thing the graphite will stay put very long especially if rain water is getting in there anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

I've sprayed silicon lubricant in teh window tracks. It helps a lot. Hope that's helps you.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i pulled the door panel and smeared white lithium grease all over the gears. it help mine
Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

stopped at a glass shop and asked them about it. They said not to put anything in the tracks as the felt is supposed to be the lubricant itself. I took the door panels off yesterday so I could clean and inspect. I didn't see anything other than maybe the felt is starting to dry-rot maybe. Sprayed them down with brake cleaner (glass shop's recommendation) but didn't seem to help. One thing I did notice while I was cleaning the windows was rub marks on the glass right in the center. I didn't see and adjustment in the rails but looks like it might be too tight.
I hate to throw money at the problem by buying a new regulator but the windows not working is driving me insane!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

I hate to disagree with those in the know, but it seems that lubes work. The Pro's might suggest against it, but these trucks are all getting old. If lube fixes it for now, let it be fixed while you start piecing together replacement parts.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't know why your local shop told you not to use anything. Years ago graphite was the lubricant of choice but it doesn't work well with the new materials used in the channel. I have used silicone spray for years with good results. You can also use any dry lube. The only problem with the dry lube is it tends to leave a white film so only use it inside the door which is where most of the drag is. You can use grease on the gears and roller guides but not in the glass channel. The grease will attract dirt and grit. Not a good thing for glass moving in a channel.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM

I havent used it personally on door windows, but I read a long time ago to use air tool oil on slow sunroof tracks, because it doesn't collect dust and grit like grease and other oils? I used it on the sunroof on my old car and it worked marvelously.

That being said, my driver's window in my '00 just started doing the same thing right after I replaced the lock actuator (you unbolt the bottom of the window track). There's a little "hook" on the back of the track that you have to get around the hole for it to go in right at the bottom of the back of the window opening. I'm thinking on mine (since it wasn't an issue before) it maybe didnt get in the groove right. I'll be pulling my panel apart in a couple hours and checking when I run over to our company shop.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOnThaSnow View Post
I havent used it personally on door windows, but I read a long time ago to use air tool oil on slow sunroof tracks, because it doesn't collect dust and grit like grease and other oils? I used it on the sunroof on my old car and it worked marvelously.

That being said, my driver's window in my '00 just started doing the same thing right after I replaced the lock actuator (you unbolt the bottom of the window track). There's a little "hook" on the back of the track that you have to get around the hole for it to go in right at the bottom of the back of the window opening. I'm thinking on mine (since it wasn't an issue before) it maybe didnt get in the groove right. I'll be pulling my panel apart in a couple hours and checking when I run over to our company shop.
Let us know how it turns out. It is my suspicion that something similar was done to my truck. The carfax actually shows where the PO had the channels "adjusted". After looking them over good it looks like the felt is dry and cracked and maybe starting to dry rot. I didn't see any adjustments in the channels short of bending them some but I didn't want to make the problem worse.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM

pwr windows slow

If the felt is cracking and dry rotted I would imagine the shops recommendation wouldn't be applicable. Kinda hard for worn out felt tracks to operate properly so the lubrication shouldn't hurt a thing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM

Ford actually makes a spray lube for this problem. Not sure about the name but a google search should tell ya about it. I saw it several weeks ago when i had the same issue. I used grease on mine and have had good results. The graphite will work great til it rains or give your truck a bath. I'm not saying that lube is the correct fix for the issue but 1. we are talking about a truck with a few years on it and not a new one. 2. lube (assuming it fixes your issue) is a whole lot cheaper than new regulators, motors, tracks, felts and belt moldings...which is probably the parts list that it will take to completely fix the problem. 3. the worst side effect of the lube is that you may find it a bit messy if your not careful with the application. I'm all for a cheapo fix if its a good fix!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.