Back Up Camera Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Back Up Camera Install

I recently bought a back up camera (link is below). Install seemed pretty straight forward... black-ground. red- black/pink wire from tail lights run the video cable to the back of the head unit and put in the R.C IN. I ran it just like this, threw my truck in reverse and got nothing. Then my subwoofer, right door speaker, and left tweet started giving me a bit of static and the subwoofer would sporadically just go crazy. The right door speaker sounded almost like it was mimicking the engine.

My main question is about the Backup camera. Any ideas on how to get this thing to work?

This is the camera.
Amazon.com: Rear View Camera Night Vision Waterproof For Cars: Electronics Amazon.com: Rear View Camera Night Vision Waterproof For Cars: Electronics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thumbs up

Just a guess but I have had a stereo in all my vehicles and the ground is the most important thing !!! It makes alot of things go crazy with a bad ground !! If u have extra wire run a wire from negative side on battery to were u grounded camera (just for testing purposes so u can run it outside your vehicle ) and try it again if craziness is gone the your ground isnt good enough !! Use a wire brush to clean metal clean and shiny then I use vasoline to coat bare metal and re apply your wire !!!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks, i'll give that a try, The place i grounded it to was a small screw in the behind the bumper on the frame and it was a bit muddy from parking in a pond the other day haha. I will clean it off and give it a try...

Also I forgot to mention, although I doubt this makes a difference. The Black/Pink wire i tapped into for the red wire on the camera was directly behind the hitch and up. I am pretty sure that is just where the wiring for the tail light runs across. Just making sure I didnt tap into some random BL/Pink wire and that would be the reason its not working.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Good luck I have been thinking about getting a camera for my short bus to plug into my cts cause I have got to dependent on my backup sensors and blew a fuse last week and put my hitch through my garage wall (barely but still ) just not sure if I can use any camera or have to buy theirs !! Plus will cord b long enough ?? Just need to start investigating I guess!! Let me know if that doesnt work I might have another idea or 2 !!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm gunna go give it a try right now. On duty and stuff at work all night so might as well... The RCA cord that came with this camera barley reached i had about 6-8 inches of play. I ran it behind the glovebox down through the step panels and out the back of the cab into the frame and then over near the hitch. Cut out a hole right next to my license plate and installed it there.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Then it probably wont reach mine I think I am between a short bed and a long bed in length !!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alrighty this has me scratchin my head. I have a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD head unit. I just re wired the camera and put my truck in the on position shifted into reverse check the screen... nothing.. I tried pushing the camera button and I got the warning message about front seat cant not view video or something like that. However I got out and looked at the camera and it has power (the IR lights were lit at least). The RCA cable is plugged into the correct spot via the owners manual of the headunit.
I'm guessing the guy who jerry rigged the head unit in the first place (its a cluster F*** back behind there) messed something up... any idea what it could be?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM

I have heard that there is some kind of safety feature on those units so that screen cant b viewed unless that feature is shut off just a guess !! Call a local to u stereo install shop and c what they say !!! I had a buddy put one in his 1 ton and installer told him he would shut this off for him since he was over 18 !! Dont know if its true but could c itwith all theno texting and driving laws now!!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I believe the way they shut that off is with a 12v relay and bypass the parking brake or something like that, i'm electrically retard. this stuff is like magic to me.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM

Might b able to search it online or from pioneer !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.