Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Laurel, MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crew Cab Rear Door Lock Actuator Install
I've seen some info on the tin foil fix and pics of replacing the front actuators with aftermarket ones, but never any on doing the rears. I did it today, here we go:
1. Remove the two screws retaining the door panel. One is behind the window switch and the other is behind the reflector. Disconnect the window switch and lift straight up on the door panel to remove.
2. Peel away the dust cover.
3. Mount the new actuator as shown and pull the fishnet off of the factory rod. You'll have to put a slight bend in the new rod. Then clamp it to the old one using the supplied hardware.
4. Use a panel tool to pull the wiring harness off of the door. Cut the tape carefully and locate the two larger wires. One is red and one is red with a black stripe. Using pull apart connectors, splice into the body side of the harness. Determine which wire is which by hitting the lock button and seeing which way it moves.
5. Reassemble in reverse. You may need to make some adjustments to where you connect the new rod before you put the panel back on, make sure to try everything several times before you button it up!
This whole project cost me $25 and 20 minutes a door :thup:
1985 F150 with 460. Fast & Loud.
3" shackle lift on front, 3" blocks on rear.
Painless Performance Striker II
35x12.50x18 Toyo A/T II's