12 volt...switched...for arb compressor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
12 volt...switched...for arb compressor

I am installing an ARB compressor for my lockers. I was thinking of finding a 12 volt power somewhere that is only hot when ignition switched on. Then run a line from that to a relay. Run a hot line from the battery, through a 15 amp fuse to the relay and then to the power line to the arb wire harness.

Anyone see anything wrong with that? I think I have a relay left over from a set of hella supertone horns that I didnt use...

Also, anyone have a good idea of where to pull the 12 v switched lead from?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The trailer tow charge line is switched.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Man, I must be doing something wrong. I am trying to get this relay to work. On the 4 pin relay, I have the ign going to pin #86, #87 going to the ARB wire harness, 15 amp fused line going to #30 and #85 going to ground.

Nothing.

I bypass the relay and go from ign switched wire to wire going to arb harness and everything works great. I want to just run it off a separate bigger wire in case the small arb compressor drew to much power. (used the red/yellow wire they say to use for gauges)

Am I doing something wrong or is this relay bad?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

Ninja edit. You have it wired right. I had to reread the way you wrote that a couple of times. Gimme a second.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Premium Member

Check the relay. Run leads from 85 and 86 and touch them to your battery. You should feel the relay click. Using an ohm meter, check 30 and 87. While 85 and 86 are connected you should read 0 ohms. When 85 and 86 are disconnected you should read infinite ohms.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

If the pump is working without the relay, but hooking it to the relay makes it not work, I do suspect a bad relay. You have it wired right, but that doesn't mean that you are getting a good switched power or ground. Get your multimeter and test the switched connection you're using. Test it at the point you're connecting to the relay. Ignition on should read ~12V. Have your doors closed, lights off just to make sure it's ignition switched, not light switched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.