Radio install difficulty? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Radio install difficulty?

Hey guys im looking at the Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD for my 2000 super duty, I was wondering does anyone have this unit? Also on a scale of 1-10 whats the difficulty level of installing a unit like this in my truck im pretty new to this stuff, or would I be further ahead to have best buy install it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Stereo install is ridiculously easy. Buy the wire harness and dash kit you need, connect your wires from the new radio's harness to the wire harness you buy with either butt connectors, or solder, scotch lock connectors, or whatever your fancy. That can be done in the house. Pull out your factory stereo, and unplug the wires, slide the dash kit in, plug the new wires in slide the new radio in, done. I installed my DVD/NAV unit in about 45 minutes. If your new pioneer is a double din, you'll have to trim the lip that's below the stereo to get it to fit.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Stereo install is ridiculously easy. Buy the wire harness and dash kit you need, connect your wires from the new radio's harness to the wire harness you buy with either butt connectors, or solder, scotch lock connectors, or whatever your fancy. That can be done in the house. Pull out your factory stereo, and unplug the wires, slide the dash kit in, plug the new wires in slide the new radio in, done. I installed my DVD/NAV unit in about 45 minutes. If your new pioneer is a double din, you'll have to trim the lip that's below the stereo to get it to fit.
The only thing is he has a DVD player, so it'll have a that they will "want" him to tap into the Parking Brake line. That wire is so that you can't watch DVDs or mess with the Navigation while the truck is moving. You're suppose to engage the brake and it'll let you mess with those to.

I can't remember how to do it, but I know you can probably hook it up to an accessory switch to bypass it. I think the new ones now you have to engage it, disengage it, and re engage it so that you can play movies. My friend just installed one in his 350Z.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Chapter Director

Don't need a switch, you just need to ground the parking brake wire in the harness for the stereo. Looks like you need a relay for this model, found this on the net
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a plan. Like I said, I don't know how to do it and I guess what to do lol. I know at work we put pioneer radio's in the Subaru's and there is a tap splice that goes on the parking brake signal wire.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Chapter Director

Pioneer got sneaky, on my last 2 I just had to switch the mute wire in the harness and ground it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.