AC issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AC issues

Hey guys, I'm having some issues with my AC. I have a 2002 7.3 crew cab. When I turn on the AC there is a mildew smell I have looked for a cabin filter but can't find one. Is there a drain plug somewhere for the condenser or am I blind and not seeing the filter. I have checked under the cowl and in front of the passenger seat where the blower motor is. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 AM

I'm not sure of the exact location, but there should be a drain tube or hole, not a plug, either on the firewall below the blower box, or on the blower box itself.

Wurth makes a nice product to deodorize evaporator housings:

Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment 16oz.

Takes a few treatments, but I've seen good results with it. Especially if you are able to plug the drain hole/tube and let some of the solution sit and soak the bottom of the evaporator box for a few hours.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Thanks for the reply, Ancho. I have a similar "issue" with the musty smell and I've tried Lysol into the vents and returns and it never cures the issue.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 AM

Yeah, I tried the Lysol thing too -- in theory, it's microbicidal, and should help, but I think it's just too aerosolized, and it's difficult to get it to pool on surfaces where critters are growing. The Wurth product comes out in a coarser spray pattern, more liquid than mist, and I think that helps. The instructions state to use it in the vents inside, and the fresh air intake outside, which did help, but I had the most benefit from going "in through the out door" (filling via drain tube).
Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancho View Post
Yeah, I tried the Lysol thing too -- in theory, it's microbicidal, and should help, but I think it's just too aerosolized, and it's difficult to get it to pool on surfaces where critters are growing. The Wurth product comes out in a coarser spray pattern, more liquid than mist, and I think that helps. The instructions state to use it in the vents inside, and the fresh air intake outside, which did help, but I had the most benefit from going "in through the out door" (filling via drain tube).
Thanks. I'm assuming that you mean on the evaporator, correct?

PS. Have you bought anything from those guys on autogeek?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Thanks. I'm assuming that you mean on the evaporator, correct?

PS. Have you bought anything from those guys on autogeek?
Yep, the evaporator, which when cold, has moisture condensing out of the air, plus add in some dust, dirt, etc, it's a prime area for mold/mildew to grow. Add in the possibility of a plugged drain hole/tube, with any degree of pooling at the bottom of the evap housing, and that's where your smell comes from. Also, evaporator cores that leak refrigerant and oil, even in minute amounts, will attract even more debris, increasing the surface area for microbial growth.

I've bought a few things from autogeek - the Wurth A/C treatment, and also some Wurth paint products for refininshing the LT5 in my ZR-1. I think you can use the code "autopia" for 10% off at autogeek. Usually ship pretty fast, and they carry stuff that is kind of hard to find.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Slacker

Sweet! Thanks again for all your information.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

One thing I've been doing to minimize the smell is to shut off the AC before I stop at my location. i.e. About a 1/4 mile from my house, I'll shut off the AC and just let the blower blow air through the system. By time I shut the truck down, a bunch of air has blown through. It seem to work for me. I've used bleach / Lysol in the outside air vents and let the system pull it through when I've had some smell.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
One thing I've been doing to minimize the smell is to shut off the AC before I stop at my location. i.e. About a 1/4 mile from my house, I'll shut off the AC and just let the blower blow air through the system. By time I shut the truck down, a bunch of air has blown through. It seem to work for me. I've used bleach / Lysol in the outside air vents and let the system pull it through when I've had some smell.
Good point, I do the same thing in all my vehicles. It does seem to help somewhat (though on humid days, I'm not sure it makes much difference.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 AM

smell

Remove the blower motor and look at the heater core. Mine was covered with green when i replaced the blower motor. Thanks James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.