Painted interior parts/ next is carper, anyone done this? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Painted interior parts/ next is carpet, anyone done this?

So Ive just finished painting my dash/ and adding a new fiberglass center console with 2 10" L7 Kickers. Still haven't cut the holes and the cubby hole out yet of the box but I'm waiting for the vinyl to come in So I can cover it!

Basically I'm wanting to now paint all my interior carper black and red. And my seats too.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Here are some pictures of how my interior sits at the moment!

Last edited by irishluck; 06-08-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Misspelled Words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
So Ive just finished painting my dash/ and adding a new fiberglass center console with 2 10" L7 Kickers. Still haven't cut the holes and the cubby hole out yet of the box but I'm waiting for the vinyl to come in So I can cover it!

Basically I'm wanting to now paint all my interior carper black and red. And my seats too.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Here are some pictures of how my interior sits at the moment!

Looks Good! I will be copying somewhat of your dash for my truck i like the looks of that.

As far as carpet... I'd go ahead and just buy new carpet...for 2-300 you can buy all new red or black carpet and you would probably spend that much buying the uphoulstery dye/paint. as far as painting/dye seats I dont think thats a good idea at all.... I would buy the Katskinz leather recovering (under $1,000 if i remember right) that way you wont ever have it bleed or wear off.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel102285 View Post
Looks Good! I will be copying somewhat of your dash for my truck i like the looks of that.

As far as carpet... I'd go ahead and just buy new carpet...for 2-300 you can buy all new red or black carpet and you would probably spend that much buying the uphoulstery dye/paint. as far as painting/dye seats I dont think thats a good idea at all.... I would buy the Katskinz leather recovering (under $1,000 if i remember right) that way you wont ever have it bleed or wear off.
I may look into that. I actually took one of the floor mats and just did a test run on that with the special paint I bought. I think its like $7 a can.

Painted the floor mat and after it dried for a day, i ran my hand across is pretty roughly, used my feet, kicked it around, scratched it and all but seems to hold up quite well! Nothing came off it off, didn't peal or flake.

Going to give it a few test runs But seems to be holding up. Can buy some paint for about $50.

Idk, im going to think about it a little more.

If your going to paint your dash like I did, TAKE YOUR TIME!

When it comes to the dash pieces, its all prep. The painting is the easy part!

I took a whole day sanding the gauge pillar and 2 days with the top dash piece. I wanted it to look nice and smooth! Used bully dog adhesion promoter, then the paint and clear coat, wet sanded the clear coat and the used a buffer and some polish making it shine!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I dont think I will actually spend that much time with the Prep on the pieces. I have seen a local shop do quite a fair amount of this type of work and they simply degrease the pieces very well, then use poly prep in a can.

They have done quite a few vehicles like this and seems to last for years.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel102285 View Post
I dont think I will actually spend that much time with the Prep on the pieces. I have seen a local shop do quite a fair amount of this type of work and they simply degrease the pieces very well, then use poly prep in a can.

They have done quite a few vehicles like this and seems to last for years.
I only did that cause I wanted the smooth slick look instead of the textured look.

Either way looks great. Just make sure to get a good grease remover to clean it off and the an adhesion promoter ( This allies the paint to bend with the painted plastic piece, otherwise it will flake over time!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.