Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Looking for custom center console

5K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Sc0r1a 
#1 ·
I would like to remove my center console and make one that goes up to the dash. I would like to add some electronics and switches and want to put them in it. Has anyone done this before? Are there pics out there or designs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#2 ·
There was a couple people on here that made some out of plywood, and I think one that put the 2011 style center console in his truck.

#3 ·
#4 ·
saw one on here or the nation that took a new f150 center console with the shifter in the console and put it in a superduty. looked pretty nice, had some switches. i will look in my favorites and see if i saved it.

#5 ·
Thanks. I was hoping to be able to add one rather then build one. I was wondering about the expedition console. I saw one from a 02 but it looked a little skinny. I will check out the newer ones and the F150 to see the size.

#6 ·
Here is my new center console I have finished for the most part.

Waiting for some vinyl to show up and also with be adding some cup harders and a cubby hole in the box.

This is a fiberbox enclosure with MDF supports.

Enjoy.

#7 ·
Very different. It looks nice, I am just too used to using the center console as an arm rest. How does it sound?

#8 ·
It sounds pretty good. Just got to put a "gasket" around the sub now were it screws down in the box.

Now see, I said the same thing, I use my console as an arm rest.

Well there is an add-on I'm putting to the box that will still act as that.

Ill show you a picture of where I got the idea from!

As you can see, this box was very nicely built. On my box, ill be using the same concept as in the above image for that arm rest, will have the padding on the top and will cover both subs. (Also helps for a little more security!)

Anything can be done with fiberglass and wood :D:D:D

Let me know if you are interested in doing something like this and I can share some tips with you on how I built it!

#9 ·
Man that actually looks really nice!!! Are you going to cover yours like the one in that pic with vinal/leather or leave it the red color? As of now I am just running a truck box behind the rear seat but I really like the new style kind of like how you did yours that runs the console up to the dash

#10 ·
I will be wrapping mine with the vinyl/leather

When I put the Bondo filler on the box it still left little tiny pin holes on it and was unable to sand it out. So It will be wrapped. But ill be wrapping in with red vinyl to match he truck!

See with the subs I have as a choice they were to big for behind the seat, or even under the seat. SO my only other option was to build a new center console!

I built one out of MDF wood but did not like it that much. Wanted more custom so I built this one out of fiber glass.

#11 ·
Yeah there is not that much room back there, I run a single pioneer shallow 12 right now and it barely fits with slight rubbing on the seat

#12 ·
Unfortunately my subs are about 5/ or 6" deep and I also didn't want to remove that tool tray. Comes in handy ha

Id consider building a new console. I haven't been able to find any custom consoles online for our trucks and I have no idea what other model trucks would fit ours.

Besides, You can build yours to your specs! Do anything ya want with it!

#13 ·
Very true. I have the shift on the floor option though, have to work around that.

#15 ·
nothing on hand, its just the 4x4 shifter lever on the floor.

#16 ·
Well thank god for making fiberglass lol

If you decide to go with something like that let me know and i can give you tips on doing this.

But there are many things you an do!

And you can come up with some cool ideas for them too!

#19 ·
Mine has the 4x4 shifter on the floor as well. I am not looking to add speakers tho. I built a custom box for behind my rear seat. I moved the rear bench forward about 1 1/2" and they barely touch. I am going to add speaker grates to stop the rubbing. I am looking to add a CB, guages, switches and a couple other odds and ends into my console. I still want the armrest and was gonna try to add rear air through it. I saw the expedition console has the vents with ducts. I might try fiberglass myself. Ive never done it but cant hurt to try. Then if it comes out good Ill feel good that I built it myself. lol.

Any good advice on fiberglassing? All the info helps...lol

#20 · (Edited)
TAKE YOUR TIME. Thats my biggest thing on fiber glassing. My box turned out pretty good for the most part but had to use alot on body filler cause of the very first layer I did on the box.

DO NOT USE Styrofoam as a mold. The very first layer of fiberglass you put on will melt the foam and it will be all lumpy.

What i suggest doing if your going to make a box for the center console like I did, is to start with the very bottom piece first.

Your going to need some masking tape and some foil. (foil is optional.)
(maybe 2 or 3 rolls of tape)

Take your masking tape and tape the whole floor that you want as a fiber glass mold. Then you can add the option of putting some foil in there too. It just helps so the resin wont bleed through the tape.
You'll be able to cut down the pan to size if needed. Better to have to much than not enough!

When you do lay the resin and fiberglass down, make sure to tear and not cut the fiberglass to size. lay the fiberglass down first and then put your resin on top of that.

Once you get the whole area taped off, then you can fiberglass. Work with small amounts and do not use more hardener than required. The resin will harden within minutes if you do.

Thats the first step I recommend. If you plan on making another piece thats not the center console I can still give you some advice on it.

Here's a couple updated pictures of my box from last night as I was wrapping it with vinyl!

#22 ·
I had a wooden box made before I did the fiberglass box with the 2 subs facing down, I didnt like it that much so thats why I went with the fiberglass!

#24 ·
It worked in a 96 so will it work in an 02?
I'm really interested in this mod just wondering if it'll work on the newer truck before i waste the money on parts that wont work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.