I Have a DTC Code 01-P0603 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I Have a DTC Code 01-P0603

Greetings - new to forum

The Internet indicates this stands for Internal Control Module Keep Alive memory (KAM) Error. What I don't know is what the problem actully is, what the remedy is and estimated cost to fix.

Problem started with gas guage going to zero (with 3/4 quarters of a tank) and outside temp readout indicating 57 degrees. I live in Houston, and it is not 57.

Any ideas what the problem is? All assistance most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
to the ORG!! No clue but I will keep ya bumped until ya get an answer.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
P0603 usually means you reprogrammed or tuned your truck thats the code that comes up when that is done normally. It usually means you changed the PCM programming
Old 09-26-2007, 03:05 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

i agree , p0603 doesnt mean you have a problem, if you are runing any kind of chip, programmer ,etc. you will get that code , if you change programs or anything like that, your gas gauge problem, is probably the sending unit in the tank, need to get a gauge test run , to make sure gauge is operating properly , if it is ok. then probably sending unit, as ar as temp concern, the display itself could be going out , with the correct scanner , that problem can be diagnosed also, the temp sender for that is located right behind the grill , if its been damaged or soemone has drilled the radiator support ut to get more air it may have gotten damaged
Old 09-26-2007, 04:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys -

Yes have been running a tuner for a couple of years with no problem until now. I just run it on Safe Tow, never the performance settings for fear of tearing something up. What a difference even the Safe Tow makes! I always reset it to stock B/4 taking to dealer for any service just in case they do any updating of computer while being serviced. Again, never a problem until now. Truck is completly stock except for tuner and K&N - just wanted reliability while on thr road pulling trailer. A little bummed out at the moment. All I can see is $$$$$$$ to the dealer.

Once it is fixed, will it be OK to again reprogram using Tuner - or am I asking for trouble?

Thx for letting me run on and again thanks for your replies.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Do you have gauges (egt,trannt,boost)? I highly recommend having gauges with any level of tuning, heck I wouldn't run a stock truck towing without gauges. 603 is not a problems, just a way for Ford to tell if you have been messing with it. If you want reliability, dump the K&N filter and spend around $38 on an open element filter like the Baldwin PA2818, a dusted engine can cost around $10,000. Tuners are pretty safe and I think make a truck last longer and run better if not abused.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

AlabamaFrog - Thanks for your reply. Looked at your recommendation of a Baldwin PA2818 air filter. Baldwin's site indicates that their flat filter PA4148 is the one to use for an '03 7.3L. I sure like the looks of the PA2818 --- but wonder whether it will work in my stock enclosure or is an aftermarket enclosure required?

Many thanks - and by the way my original posted problem was the sending unit in the tank, which was replaced under warranty - dodged a bullet there - as the cost was extreme.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Here is a writeup for that filter. Explains the whole procedureDIY Intake
Old 09-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The whole purpose of going to the PA2818 is to get rid of the entire factory air box, they are prone to leak dust under high boost conditions and the factory system is just not up to the demand. Thrash it and put the open element filter in its place. We have installed them on several trucks from early 99 to 03. All you will need is something 4" round and about 4-6" long for an adapter. I use PVC but some use muffler pipe or even grocery store cans.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

dtc code

KAM (keep alive memory) !!! i had the same code on my 2000 excusrion. i asked my buddy who works at a ford dealer as a mech and he told me to check for corrosion on the battery terminals, if they r good the check each batt individually to see if they still have good cells !! i cleaned my terminals and i havent had that code come up yet !! if that still doesnt work my biddy said to start pin testing the computer ????!!!?? luckily i didnt have to go that far !! let me know if that works for you !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.