All About Subs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All About Subs

In the middle of trying to figure out what subs to put in my truck. I've seen these extra shallow subs people have been making and was wondering if anyone has used them before and how they liked them??

They seem like the best option since they are only 3 1/2'' deep from the ones i've seen...Insanely small.

Any help on the choices i should check out would be appreciated. I am on a budget so cheaper is better.

I am planning on running 2x10'' subs, putting them under the seat of my extended cab.

If i have these two subs and say they each take 300 RHS, what all do i need to know in order to pick out a correct amp for it?

Thanks!! Here are a few links to the few subs i have been looking at.

Also, can someone explain the difference between a 2 and 4 ohm sub? What if i connect two of my 4 ohm subs to a 1 mono amp? Is that fine to do?

Rockford Fosgate R2SD2-12 Prime R2 Series 12" shallow subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

^------This one says its a 400 RHS, so if i had two of these id prob need a pretty large amp to make them sound good wouldn't i? So buying these cheaper subs might not be the best bet?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM

Learn about Category Car Audio, Video & GPS

Study up sir .
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordsNFishin View Post
In the middle of trying to figure out what subs to put in my truck. I've seen these extra shallow subs people have been making and was wondering if anyone has used them before and how they liked them??

They seem like the best option since they are only 3 1/2'' deep from the ones i've seen...Insanely small.

Any help on the choices i should check out would be appreciated. I am on a budget so cheaper is better.

I am planning on running 2x10'' subs, putting them under the seat of my extended cab.

If i have these two subs and say they each take 300 RHS, what all do i need to know in order to pick out a correct amp for it?

Also, can someone explain the difference between a 2 and 4 ohm sub? What if i connect two of my 4 ohm subs to a 1 mono amp? Is that fine to do?

Rockford Fosgate R2SD2-12 Prime R2 Series 12" shallow subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

^------This one says its a 400 RHS, so if i had two of these id prob need a pretty large amp to make them sound good wouldn't i? So buying these cheaper subs might not be the best bet?

Thanks
Do yourself a favor and get the new rockford p3s alot better the r2 are junk
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordsNFishin View Post

Thanks
Let me start by saying I have a setup for sale on here http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/int...sub-setup.html

But now let me tell you. If you bought two 4 ohm subs and had a mono amp better known as a class D amp. You can run them to a 2 ohm by running them as a series they way I had mine ran. Very simple if need be I can explain in full detail. Running 2 speakers that are a 2 ohm would only be a good idea if your amp can Handel 1 ohm but it's not that common. Ussually you have to spend a lot of money on a amp for it to be 1 ohm stable. 2 ohm subs would be ideal as well if you are going to run 4 subs but your not so let's move on.

The shallow subs are ideal for trucks but the thing is NO SUB is good unless it is in a good box with a decent amp playing it. Mainly it the box though.

Now let's say you want to play some subs that are 300 watts RMS you would need an amp the is at least 600x1 a class D amp (mono blocked) you could get one a little bigger but if budget is a big deal let's stick with the minimum.

So all of that being said if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I run a single pioneer shallow 12" behind my rear seat right now and its great
I run in a ported box. but gonna go to 2 12's in a sealed box next

here is a very high level way to look at it
if u run 2 4ohms in series you will actually be at 2ohms. you would need to have an amp that is 2ohm capable (most decent amps are) so if you have 2 300RMS subs in series at 2ohms you would want an amp that puts out around 500-600RMS at 2ohms.
again that is VERY high level

doh! took too long to finally post and didnt see Fordmans entry.. so u get the info twice - haha

Last edited by doubledrop; 03-18-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: doh!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledrop View Post
I run a single pioneer shallow 12" behind my rear seat right now and its great
I run in a ported box. but gonna go to 2 12's in a sealed box next

here is a very high level way to look at it
if u run 2 4ohms in series you will actually be at 2ohms. you would need to have an amp that is 2ohm capable (most decent amps are) so if you have 2 300RMS subs in series at 2ohms you would want an amp that puts out around 500-600RMS at 2ohms.
again that is VERY high level

doh! took too long to finally post and didnt see Fordmans entry.. so u get the info twice - haha
Haha it's okay I'm sure he will appreciate it. Hey btw if your going to do 2 12's I would do them without a divider in the middle I'm a firm believe now cuz it's almost like each sub gets the whole box for air space makes them hit deeper and so on a so forth. Just food for thought.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordman87 View Post
Haha it's okay I'm sure he will appreciate it. Hey btw if your going to do 2 12's I would do them without a divider in the middle I'm a firm believe now cuz it's almost like each sub gets the whole box for air space makes them hit deeper and so on a so forth. Just food for thought.
thats actually what i was thinking.. keeping it as a single enclosure for both
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledrop View Post
thats actually what i was thinking.. keeping it as a single enclosure for both
You will be more than happy trust me. I listened to a installer a fabricator that does and has done it for years and I was so glad I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.