Adding Stereo Speakers to my Factory Sound System? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Adding Stereo Speakers to my Factory Sound System?

Well, I'm on a bit of a budget right now due to practical replacing the whole front end steering and suspension system and I'm looking at two speaker sets which I had connected to my computer until recently. Originally these speakers came from an old Sharp CD/AM/FM/Cassette stereo player from the early 2000's. I connected them to an old Eastern amplified subwoofer that is connecting to my computer and used them for years. They still work great and sound real clean, so I was wondering if there was any way I could connect them to the factory stereo system in my truck and leave them under the back seats until I could afford to put a new system in. Here are the specs:

They are two Sharp CP-C406 which have an impedance of 8 OHMS, rated power of 10W, and max power of 20W. Each set, or box seems to have a speaker and a tweeter. A 6 and 1/2 inch speaker on the bottom and 2 and 1/2 on the top.

I could probably connect the Eastern amplified subwoofer in the truck with an A/C inverter plugged into the aux power, but I think the sub is busted out since it seems to breath when you put the volume up and don't play anything, so I'd rather not have it in my truck. I mean, I know the difference between A/C power that a house uses and D/C which a car uses, but these speakers seem exactly like any other speakers I've seen connected into a car, so I just wanted to see if there was any way to add them into the system.

Any help is greatly appreciated since I am really not an expert when it comes to audio equipment and don't really know much about calculating loads and impedance and stuff. Well, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 PM

Also, I was thinking of connecting one to the rear drivers side and the other to the rear passenger side, but I'm not sure what the OHMs of the factory speakers are and the restrictions that apply. Also, I don't know if it would be best to connect them in parallel or series. If anyone knows the specs of the factory AM/FM/CD/Cassette radio and factory speakers, and could help me figure out if I can add these speakers and still stay within the safe range I would be very grateful. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

As far as the ohms/watts, etc- you'd be fine running those in parallel with the rear speakers in my opinion.

Having said that, I would just not even bother for two reasons.

1. Your goal should be to have better/louder/cleaner sound from your front speakers- you don't go to a concert and put your back to the stage, do you?

2. I will put money on it that those speakers will sound like dog **** in your truck, if you were even able to hear them much at all over the stock speakers.

I'm not trying to bash you at all, so don't take it the wrong way! I'm just trying to save you some grief. Don't bother unless you really just have time to kill and want to hear the results for yourself. But don't say I didn't warn you!

When you are able to save up a few bucks, check out sonicelectronix.com (yes spelled just like that). You can get a damn nice set of Infinity Kappa 6X8's for around $100-120. Then a decent 2 channel amp that puts out say, 50 watts/channel @ 4 ohms and you'd be set up as far as front stage speakers. (The Kappa's are 2 ohm speakers, so that amp figure example would realistically give them about 80 watts RMS)

From there you could either run a sub from bridging the amp (most 2 channel amps will run a set of speakers AND be able to be bridged at the same time) OR just run another decent amp off the rear channel outputs of the stereo into a sub or two. In all, even buying new stuff you could get a decent little set up for not much money. Buying USED amps will save you some bucks if you want a big one for the sub. The door speakers won't need that much power to be LOUD. Believe me, even at 20 watts of REAL power, it will be loud. The stock deck (and most aftermarket for that matter) only put out a FEW watts realistically.

Good luck man.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM

Thanks man. Yeah, I probably won't do it. I could do it, but you're probably right, it wouldn't be worth it. I have the experience with electronics and wiring in boats and cars, but not much with audio, so that's why I was asking. And yeah, I will be replacing the factory speakers and headunit soon and might get an amp later on, but at the moment I'm trying to get the body and drivetrain in near perfect condition before I start putting money into other things. I was just wondering if these speakers would boost the sound system a bit more. I just replaced a bunch of steering and front suspension components and now have to try to find and fix a leak in the fuel system which is letting air get in overnight. So, until I do that I won't be investing money into an audio system. I did go to Best Buy last year and they told me it would be like $250 to replace the speakers and headunits, so that's definitely gonna happen sometime this year. Well, thanks again.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You can install them yourself and save the $250! Or if you really want someone else to do it, shop around because what Best Buy quoted you for an install = RAPE!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Sorry, I think the install was like $80 and the ~$180 was for 4 speakers and a headunit. I would install them myself but I don't really like messing around with my door panels and interior parts too much. This way if they mess it up they can pay to fix it for me.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:27 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The door panels in our truck are some of the easiest to remove. 2-3 screws, a couple plugs behind the panels and there off. From there's is just mounting in your speaker and putting your door back together.

I don't like anyone handling my stuff cause at least I know what I did and if something goes wrong I can trace it back. But that's just me lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.