Instrument Panel R&R, light bulbs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Instrument Panel R&R, light bulbs

See my sig -

I have one bulb that just burned out on my Instrument Panel. Whether they like or not, they are all getting replaced.

I searched here, I searched Google. I found how to get an IP out of an explorer. Not much on the Super Duty.

So...How do it remove the IP to get to the bulbs? Is it just pull to get some clips to release, are there screws to remove? Wiring to watch out for?

What bulbs? 194s??

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

K- So...I looked it up in a manual I have at home. Seems easy enough. I do need to go get that Radio removal tool, but no biggie. The manual didn't say what light bulbs and my owner's manual refers me to the dealer.

Anyone know what the bulb is?

I can call the dealer I suppose. Just wanted to have them ready to go to replace at the time I tear into it. Another option is to tear it down, pull a bulb, take my wife's car to the parts store and then come back, replace the bulbs and re-install.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah there's nothing really to it. Just pull the radio and dash panel and then the screws holding the instrument panel in place are torx heads. I dont remember what the bulb is off of the top of my head, but I know there is a lot of them in there. You'll see when you pull it apart.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

the bulb is a 194. i had to replace a couple on mine.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM

You can use 2 pieces of coat hanger curved in a "u", or a couple of small allen wrenches to remove the radio. My IP had 4 7mm screws holding it to the dash. On the back of the IP is 3 harnesses you'll have to release. Not sure if it's an '01 thing or not, but there was a cable of some sort just to the left of the steering wheel that wouldn't let me pull the IP all the way out, didn't dig too much further because I was just looking for a VSS wire.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Grab the dash and pull hard, but don't pull it all the way out, only enough to get your hand behind it. Disconnect the 12v power, airbag, 4x4 switch, and headlight switch plugs. Then slide the dash up. Instrument panel is held in by a few screws. I think there are two different size bulbs in it.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

I want to see pics
Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James3889 View Post
the bulb is a 194. i had to replace a couple on mine.
That's what I was thinkin', but thanks for confirming that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc87 View Post
You can use 2 pieces of coat hanger curved in a "u", or a couple of small allen wrenches to remove the radio. My IP had 4 7mm screws holding it to the dash. On the back of the IP is 3 harnesses you'll have to release. Not sure if it's an '01 thing or not, but there was a cable of some sort just to the left of the steering wheel that wouldn't let me pull the IP all the way out, didn't dig too much further because I was just looking for a VSS wire.
That's a great idea. I hadn't had a chance to price out the tools. Coat hangers are good for a lot of stuff. Now I just need to find a wire hanger. The Mrs has converted a lot of ours to plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Grab the dash and pull hard, but don't pull it all the way out, only enough to get your hand behind it. Disconnect the 12v power, airbag, 4x4 switch, and headlight switch plugs. Then slide the dash up. Instrument panel is held in by a few screws. I think there are two different size bulbs in it.
Thanks for the pointers. Good to know. I'm hoping to just replace the 194s. The 'idiot' lights don't come on that much so I don't think I need to tackle them. OTOH, while I'm in there, I might as well get 'em all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
I want to see pics
You just wanna see my interior, right? I'll try to do a how-to series of pics.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 PM

I'm 95% sure that there's more than just the 194s that light up in there. Wire hanger sounds good, but they bend too easily to get the radio out. The trick is to stick the tool in there just enough, then pull the tools sideways (towards your mirrors) basically. This pushes the releases in.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
I'm 95% sure that there's more than just the 194s that light up in there. Wire hanger sounds good, but they bend too easily to get the radio out. The trick is to stick the tool in there just enough, then pull the tools sideways (towards your mirrors) basically. This pushes the releases in.
I think you're right - I believe the lights that light up the gauge face and needles are the 194s, the idiot lights are different, but I haven't been able to find what those are.

The radio extraction you describe is similar to what my manual says.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.