Steering wheel with radio controls? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 04:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering wheel with radio controls?

Anybody know what it would take to retrofit a steering wheel with the radio and heater controls into a truck that didn't come with it. I have a 2002 F550 XLT and would like to install one of these wheels.

Thanks, Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 09:28 PM

The new style double din radio will work with the wheel if you add the signal wire. Cruise control has completely different resistance values and the ATC is a monster in it's own right. You will need to change the control head, heater box, blower motor resistor pack, blend door controller, vacuum controller and all the wiring between the 2 systems
Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Great info. Thanks for the response. Sounds like I'll just leave it alone based on what you're saying. Sounds like a lot more than I want to get involved in.

I do have one related question..........I had originally thought that the steering wheel controls option was something only available in '04 and newer trucks but then I saw an '02 Excursion with the option so that gave me some hope that it might be more straight forward. Do you know if all the required changes you are talking about are related to retrofitting a later model setup into an '02 truck or does it have more to do with parts differences between trucks with that option vs without regardless of model year? In other words would it be an easier conversion if I found all the required parts out of an '02 truck (assuming I could even find them) vs getting the parts from lets say an '05 or newer truck?

Thanks again, Pat
Old 11-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, for some reason the excursions got options that the superduty didn't. My 04 Harley doesn't have the steering wheel controls either.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F450 DRW View Post
The new style double din radio will work with the wheel if you add the signal wire. Cruise control has completely different resistance values and the ATC is a monster in it's own right. You will need to change the control head, heater box, blower motor resistor pack, blend door controller, vacuum controller and all the wiring between the 2 systems
Another question.............if I didn't care about the heater controls is it possible to make the cruise control work by mixing and matching factory parts or not practical? Sounds like you're saying that the radio controls should'nt be a problem?

Thanks, Pat

Edit: Just looked at the other thread titled King Ranch Steering wheel...............looks like the info on differences in CC is there

Last edited by oceanstateperf; 11-08-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: new info
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM

You can get the cruise control to work by changing the resistor values to match the old switch. Looks like the early excursion had slightly differnt values also but not as bad as the 05 and up trucks, it might be easier to change the resistors in the excursion switch if it is the older style that doesn't have a true circuit board in it.

Last edited by F450 DRW; 11-08-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.