Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2 din stereo installation??

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  motion vega 
#1 ·
I searched, and all I came up with is that you have to trim the dash opening a little, which I did, but how do you get the sleeve of the 2 din radio to fit behind the dash to hold the radio? I know the Ford factory radio is something like 1.8 din. I got the new stereo to slide through the dash by trimming it, but there's no way in the world the sleeve that the stereo slides into to hold it will fit behind the dash.

#3 ·
If it's the same as mine, after you trim the dash you reinstall the dash and slide the head into the hole. There are tabs on the side of the trim that grab the dash to keep it from sliding out.

I didn't like that method, so I removed the dash and put two screws into the side of the head unit then slid the dash over the head. I had to make the opening in the dash slightly larger but you can't tell the difference.

#9 ·
That stuff you call "aluminum bar" is called plumbers tape. It comes in a roll.

#15 ·
I couldnt find a mounting kit either??

But, I got mine to fit. Just need to cut a couple pieces of ABS to fill in the sides. The sides don't look too bad when your in the truck. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it.

#16 ·
wellllllllllllllllllllllll its nto a true kit, you essentuially made it with your pieces of plastic. offhand i dont remember the metra part number, but its two pieces of side plastic that hold the trim ring in place when you screw them to the radio, then it snaps into the dash bezel like the stock radio does. pain in the *** if you need to get the dash back apart. i havent actually installed the radio yet since im still hooking everything up, but im tempted to just screw the radio to the dash with the plumber strap. ill grab a pic of it tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.