negative and positive speaker wires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
negative and positive speaker wires

I just replaced my stock speakers with infinity 6x8...wow what a difference.

I changed all 4....my question is I cannot tell what color wires are pos or negative on the factory speaker connections...

The stock speaker connections are exactly the same on both sides of the plug in. and nothing is labeled...so I went with what I thought was the hot wire based on color (just a guess as all 4 speakers have different colors)

how can you tell?

also I tried to find if the stock setup was 4 or 8 ohm but again could not tell.

my ohm meter read 5.7 -6.2...

any clue on these 2 things?

Thanks

p.s. I have a chiltons manual but the speakers are not listed in any of the schematics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Your wires may just be dirty. Try this- Install Dr. - Ford Wiring. I've used that site for a few years now, it's helped a lot.

Stock impedance- I don't know. Probably 4 ohm. My Infinity 6x8's are 2 ohm, and I haven't had any issues with the factory deck.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the reply, the connectors at the speakers were only 2 wires onre positive and one negative....the ford speakers themselves never had any markings on the connector block. both wires connections were the same size( not like the infinity speakers which had a wider blade for positive and the small blade for negative....there are no blocks like the pics you have. Im only working at the speakers end...

thanks for the effort though!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I know that. The pdf I linked to shows you the factory wire colors. It just happens to show them at the radio end of the wiring harness. They will (should) be the same at the speaker end. I say should because Ford changes things all the time- so 99 and up wiring may be different between different Ford vehicles, compared to that diagram. It was spot on for my truck, though. You're right- the factory speakers themselves do not show positive or negative. Nor are the input lugs different sizes. I just cut the factory speaker plug from the wires. I saved them though, if I ever have a need to re install the factory speakers.

As I said before, unless someone has put in the same color wires for both positive and negative (unlikely, since you have factory speaker plugs) then the wires are just dirty. Either clean them to see the colors, or peel some of the tape/wire loom back to find clean wire sheath. I know you don't get much room to pull wires out, so it will be a pain in the ***. But if you absolutely can not find the colors- just wire up the speakers, and if they are out of phase just reverse the polarity on either speaker to put them back in phase. Hope this helps!

Also, I know when a person purchases speakers through Crutchfield- they will send you a pigtail that connects directly to the factory plug, and tell you which wire coming out of their pigtail is pos or neg. With those you won't have to cut the factory plug. Maybe a local audio shop can sell you those pigtails to make installation very simple.

Good luck
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM

Thank you for the help.

When I had the speakers off and clipped the factory pigtail the wires were out in the open and easy to see what color and stripe color they have. unfortunately the colors do not match either of the charts in the link you provided. That in a nutshell was what I was trying to say. I am unsure which is pos or neg...I tried the right front speaker with the wires both ways because I knew I wasnt going to be able to tell what was what for polarity and I couldnt tell any discernable sound difference. so I still dont know. what efffect does this have on the speaker or system if they are switched? I have a 50/50 shot at it but Im sure some are not right.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have that Chiltons manual as well ... and while it is hard to identify ... there is a wiring diagram that includes speaker wires. There is either a "radio" diagram or one with accessories ... I've seen it (I used it for my own speaker wiring) but I can't remember any better than that.

As far as measuring 5.7-6.2 DC ohms on the speaker ... it isn't a 4ohm. There is a such thing as a 6 ohm speaker and it is possible that you have them. They might be 8 ohm speakers but I'd expect a little higher reading than you reported for an 8-ohm speaker. Mind you, you wouldn't measure 8 ohm with a multimeter because ... 8 ohm refers to an average impedance and you are measuring DC resistance (two different things).

I wouldn't be concerned with running 4 ohms on there regardless of what you had in before ... any headunit should be able to handle a 4 ohm.

If your speakers are wired out of phase from each other then what will be most noticeable is less response in the lower frequencies. Sound quality can be effected in the vocal and treble ranges but that is less predictable.

You should be able to figure out proper phasing by simply connecting one speaker ... and then connecting the other speaker with one polarity and then the other. Listen to something with some bass tones and keep it whichever way has better bass response. If you do this, make sure to actually mount the speaker in the door each time since an unmounted speaker will have poor bass response itself.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys, I ll pull her apart again tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.