4x4 engage but ac only out of defrost...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 engage but ac only out of defrost......

so yesterday I was reading and the vacuum booster controls the 4x4 and the ac and I was working with the switch controls for the transfer case and it engages just fine....my question is, is there a chance that it's just a vacuum leak or what could be my problem here? the ac is STILL only coming out of the defrost vents. does someone have a vacuum line diagram for a 2000 f350 so I can get my ac working before I leave to Florida in a few days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Banned

anyone? I really need this fixed
Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 AM

what year model truck
Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

2000 f350 4x4.....with manual hubs...don't know if that will matter or not, it worked all the way until last week...
Old 07-25-2010, 10:09 AM

if your truck is set up like my 2001 with manual hubs take a look behind your glove box .... there are 2 tabs on the top that you push in then the glove box opens up past the regular point that it opens to and it allows acsess to the actuator that controls your defrost vents and regular vents .... it is on the passanger side of the truck but on the left side of the area behind your glove box ... pull the vacume line and check for suction when in ac mode.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

awesome thanks, and if there's no vacuum?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:12 PM

I am not sure of weather or not the actuator is Normally open or normally closed but I do know that when on max ac the other actuator near by for the ac to pull air from inside the cab is on. if u can connect that hose to the actuator when in max ac (either by adding a small vacuum line from that one or re routing it temporarily you will be able to test and see if it is working properly. I normally work on commercial Hvac and Residential hvac not Automotive but I do know how to troubleshoot it. If the system has no need for a vacuum for air to come out of the vents instead of defrost then I would check the door that directs airflow from defrost to front vents and see if it is stuck.
if the system requires a vacuum to have airflow through the regular vents and no vacuum is present I would check 2 things. first check the other vacuum line that opens the in cab vent to recirculate air on max ac if that vent line has no vacuum then I would assume either a leak or no proper vacuum being generated. If there is a vacuum present then I would start tracing from the tube that goes to the defrost control and inspect for proper operation. hopefully we can troubleshoot this and get it working before you leave town
Old 07-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy2010 View Post
so yesterday I was reading and the vacuum booster controls the 4x4 and the ac and I was working with the switch controls for the transfer case and it engages just fine....my question is, is there a chance that it's just a vacuum leak or what could be my problem here? the ac is STILL only coming out of the defrost vents. does someone have a vacuum line diagram for a 2000 f350 so I can get my ac working before I leave to Florida in a few days?
No I think the vacuum pump only operates the shift on the fly hubs and the HVAC. The transfer case shifts with electric solenoids/motors. So if you don't have ESOF, your vacuum pump is only controlling your HVAC.
Did you verify that your pump is running? And that it is shutting off? It should cycle on and off. Mine started to run constantly for a couple days then it just died.

Are you sure you don't have ESOF? If you have a dash switch it sounds like you do have ESOF. Look closely at your hubs to see if they say "LOCK" and "AUTO"
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine did the same thing till I stuck a golf tee into the vac line going to the vac hubs (which SUCK!) and put warn manual hubs on. Now they lock when I want them to and they stay locked till I want them to unlock. No more guess work!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Im sorry I must have misunderstood the problem. Is your point of dissatisfaction the fact that your ac wont go from defrost vents to the regular vents or is it a problem that is effecting your 4x4 that you would like resolved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.