99-01 to 02-03 Stock Guage Cluster Swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99-01 to 02-03 Stock Guage Cluster Swap

I did a quick search but all the treads that came up were about aftermarket guages. I was wondering if it was possible to take the guage cluster (speed, tach ect) from a 02 and later model (with the electrical odometer) and put it into a earlier model truck. Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was wondering the same thing... I have a 03 besides the one in my sig, I just haven't taken the time to tear both apart and try the swap
Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM

youll need the wiring harness, cluster, and PCM to make it happen due to the fact that not only are the gauges different but the odometer goes from roller to digital.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:06 AM

just stirring up an older thread. I'm looking to do the same thing. Won't us 7.3L guys need the cluster from a 2002 SD? There wasn't any changes in the 2000 and 01 from hwat I can tell. 02 seems to be the first year with digital odometer & gauge cluster change. I have the 02 instrument cluster, now need the dash wiring harness from an 02 SD diesel. is it really necessary to swap the PCM? I was told the cluster has a coding chip in it for the mileage, not in the PCM. Anyone know if this is true?
Thanks in advance!
-JT
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by choupique108 View Post
youll need the wiring harness, cluster, and PCM to make it happen due to the fact that not only are the gauges different but the odometer goes from roller to digital.
choupique108, is it only 1 wire that goes up to the speedometer for the pluse rate and another wire from the PCM for the odometer reading? I believe the 99 - 00s have the speed sensor in the tranny/rear end allready installed to the PCM on those models. I was wondering if you can get just the newer PCM and just run the leads up to the speedometer for the pulse rate and another wire for the odometer reading. I don't know if the PCM plugs for the dash harness is that different from 99 - 00 to 01 - 02? Will the 05 to 06 gauges fit into the dash of a 00 model? The shape looks the same to me.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

From doing a little research @ my Ford dealer, the digital odometer and gauge package are called HEC for Hybrid Electronic Cluster. From what I was told today the HEC unit itself keeps the odometer reading not the PCM. The dealer Emailed Ford tech department on all of these questions and hopefully will get an answer soon. Ford likes to pigeon hole this information for some reason. I guess they just want you to buy a new truck to get all of the up to date features.

I am trying to find a wiring diagram for the 00 and 02 F-250s. That way I can see what the difference was in the wiring harness is from year to year. From my on line Ford dealer it looks like 2 gauge clusters were available on the 01 and 02, 7.3 models. 1 listing says it is a gauge cluster and the other listing says it is a Hybrid III cluster. The Hybrid III cluster is cheaper then the other cluster. Getting rid of the mechanical odometer and replacing it with a digital version would be the reason why, IMO. If 2 gauge clusters were available in 01 and 02 for the 7.3s the changes to the factory wirng harness would be very little, I am guessing. If any Forum member knows of any web sites that has Ford wiring diagrams for the 00 and 02 and up F-250s please let me know.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM

These came from my Chiltons book #26667...

Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks the1laf for the harness pics. Mitchells and Alldata are just like the versions you posted here.

Searching around I found this great web site from FORD itself. It has the shop manuals, electrical diagrams that Ford uses for making the harness, TSBs and all of the data on your 94 and newer Ford truck. The site does use a crappy version of an Adobe viewer which isn't working right now for me for the big files, (shop/electrical manual) but I can view the rest of the information that is available on the site. Looks like the way to go if you want all of the service information for your Superduty. $19 dollars a month gets you a single year/truck model (2000/f-250 only) pass to the site. Well worth it to me to get all of that information. A 72 hour pass will cost you $10.00 for the same package. You can copy the information for your personal use, but you are not allowed to reproduce it in any way.

I will be using the information to see if the 02 - 03 digital dashes fit into the 99 - 01 Superdutys. If they do, I am almost sure the 04 to 06 gauges will work too. The senses for the gauges and speedometer are all electrical anyway so it shouldn't be too hard to make everything work, if the 04 to 06 gauge cluster fits into the earlier model dashes as it looks like it will, IMO.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com

Last edited by Houstonvett; 01-27-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM

ya i want an 05 cluster! anyone figure it out
Old 01-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
ya i want an 05 cluster! anyone figure it out
The 05 with the white face looks good to me also. I am waiting to snag 1 but haven't had any luck finding a good one. The gauge cluster in the 99 - 02 is microprocessor controlled unit. Once I get my hands on a 05 cluster it will be very easy to tell if Ford used the same microprocessor to control both gauge clusters, old and new. IMO, Ford did use the same unit to control both clusters. I will find a 05 dash here shortly and find out for sure. I am sure the connectors will be different and some wire colors will change but the basic gauge package will be the same, IMO.

Here is 1 version of a 05 dash. I believe there is 2 more versions available. It looks like it will fit into the 99 - 01 dash no problem, IMO. The big car companies don't like to spend money retooling the production line for gauges, door panels, switches, electrical connectors, relays, microprocessors and other parts of the infrastructure of the truck.

GM kept the C3 Vette for 14 years. 3rd Gen Camaro for 10 years. I have a 85 Z-28 with 2010 Camaro SS Brembo brakes on it. When designing the new 2010 Camaro, GM went back to the 02 Camaro platform as a benchmark for parts. GM didn't want to spend money redesigning the infrastructure parts of the new Camaro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.