Passenger airbag switch causing random airbag light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Passenger airbag switch causing random airbag light

As my first post, I will start by saying, YES, I did do a search & didn't come up with much. My airbag light came on the 2nd day that I owned my '01 F250. Friend of mine has the fancy scanner that showed the code was for the passenger airbag cutoff switch. I pulled off the dash panel to replace the bulb, and the bulb ended up being good! Following few days, the airbag idiot light next to speedometer stayed on continuously. I drove to the stealership to get a new switch, & as I pulled into their parking lot, the light went out! I turned off the truck & started it again & the airbag light next to the switch came on for a short while then went out, no light next to speedometer either. I ended up just buying the diesel additive & no switch. When I left the parking lot, it was fine, but 1 mile down the road the light next to speedometer came back on. It's been completely random if the warning light comes on or not. What should I look for? I replaced the stereo & tried tracing the wires to the pass airbag switch & they all look fine, when I pulled the switch apart, there is no apparent issue with cold solder, & doesn't look like much could go wrong. Just bugs me having that idiot light on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 03:01 PM

Just incase someone has this issue;

I pulled the switch out, rather easy, just using a 1/4" ratchet. I pulled box that houses switch apart, & even though I have seen that bulb light up before, I used a soldering iron and pulled the bulb. Not wanting to make a trip to radio shack for a bulb I used an Amber 194 that I had lying around. I soldered it into the circuit board, & resoldered every other point I could. So far, aside from a brighter "off" light, it seems to be working great.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there a fuse the lighter next to the passenger airbag swatch doesn't work either
Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same problem. I replaced the light in the switch and everything was fine for about 2 months then it started again. I turned the switch off and the light next to the speedo went out. Nobody rides with me so I just leave the switch off. Now if I could get the water in fuel light to quit coming on.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooringit View Post
Is there a fuse the lighter next to the passenger airbag swatch doesn't work either
Yeah, my "power point" didn't work either when I bought the truck, it's fuse #10 under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer Alan View Post
I have the same problem. I replaced the light in the switch and everything was fine for about 2 months then it started again. I turned the switch off and the light next to the speedo went out. Nobody rides with me so I just leave the switch off. Now if I could get the water in fuel light to quit coming on.
Did you try re-soldering each connection on the board? I do think that the bulb in my switch was still good, but since it was the second time I had removed it from the dash, I replaced the bulb in addition to re-soldering everything.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 PM

Spicer Alan

Have you drained your fuel filter reservoir lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.