tell me whatchya think... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tell me whatchya think...

Today i went with a buddy to look at an F250, he doesnt really know jack about diesels and I'm no guru, but i'm learnin on the ins and outs of diesels and i'm a Mechanic in the navy, so i know when what i'm lookin at is messed up or not..
but the truck is a 2000 CCSB, got 158K on it, intake, 4" strait pipe, 8" lift on 38's, 4.56 gears and a 6 position TS chip with built trans, and billit conv. the guys is askin 11K flat.. now here is what i'm worried about.. the truck ran fine...EXCEPT, when i first cranked it on a cold start it smoked for a good min. or two, white smoke and decent amount of it... the guy blammed it on the chip, but i'm kinda on edge about it. Now I know a COLD diesel will do a little smokin, but it was 98 here today in VA BEACH.. also just after normal drivin, coming to an idle at the red-light, dunno if maybe the guage was stickin or what but she stayed at 600 EGT's and took it a few minutes to fall down to the 400-300's.. he said the TS's programs are STOCK, HIGH IDLE, DAILY, 90, 120 AND 140. the truck was a decent runnin truck once she warmed up, but i can tell she has been rode hard and put up wet, and being the owner of a lifted truck as well, i know all the places to look for Off-Roading evidence.. and its def. seen mud before as well as the sand of VA BEACH... also the front crank seal ( behind the Harmonic balencer ) is leaking, now i know thats a pain in the Arse to fix, been there done that. but it aint a bad leak,...yet. or he's good with brake cleaner..

so with the smoking on cold start and them EGT's not droping at the red light.. what do you guys think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

truck might need a reflash. did it idle rough on start up too? if so, it needs to be reflashed. the egt's are normal when its hot out. at a light with your foot on the brack, it will take a while to go down. thats a dam good price for what all the truck has. i say get it.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Reflash isnt going to help a cold start issue on a 7.3 If its smoking white for a bit on cold starts only. And not doing it on warm starts. I would say its due for injectors
Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 PM

A reflash won't do anything. The chip's paramiters took over the stock one's the second it was put in and would again if you reflashed the PCM. So it does no good at all. Smoke on start up is no real big deal..the worst it could be is injector o-rings. I'm sure most of the smoke, white or other wise, cleared up once the truck got to operating temps. As far as the EGT's go, depending on how the crank is vented the I/C may be a little clogged up and turbo may have seen better days as well. Both issues are easy fixes. I would put a 38r on it ASAP after I bought it and either flush the IC or put a better one on. Either way all the issues aren't a big deal and should not worry you in your purchase decision.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

yeah i was thinkin at the worst injectors... didnt wanna say it and be wrong then sound dumber ya know? but yeah like yall said all easy fixes... the crank seal would be the hardest.. on labor hours anyway.. but yeah other than that, the truck is a good runnin machine. its personally not my preferance in color or what styling the guy has done to it, IMO its down right ugly, it has so many "accessories" on it, it looks like advanced auto might be usuing it as a sponser vehicle..lol but hey I aint buyin it.. so not for me to decide.. but alright thanx fellas
Old 06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

oh and a qusetion for me... My trans is gettin a little worn... I am a little harder on it than i should be, but i cant help it, i love the look on an imports face when he finally catches up to me at the next light... so question is, i'm savin up for the DP tuner right now, and i remember i once read on here that a few people were saying that Jody ( i think ) at DP works with which trans builder?? BTS or John Woods???? i'm gonna go with either one of those.. I see alot of Advertisment on ATS too, but then again you see the same with Banks and his stuff is overpriced and overrated IMO.. and i've even met the guy too, and by the way cool old guy, def. knows his stuff, but a little into hisself if ya ask me... ( just some FYI )
Old 06-20-2009, 09:40 PM

Jody works with John Woods more than BTS....Either way you go is good and Jody can dial your tranny in no matter who you go with. Stick with JW or BTS though!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.