Modding sequence question...Danger? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Modding sequence question...Danger?

Pardon another newbie question... Let me lay it out for you and see if I am going to be OK.

I am have Magnaflow exhaust and gauge set on order and plan to install the Taymar intake mod.

I have the parts for the Taymar in hand, the exhaust will be here in a couple of days but the gauges will not be here for 10 days or so. Due to time constraints I would like to start working on the Taymar now, the exhaust when it arrives and the gauges when they show up.

The truck is stock with no chips or programmer and the only thing I might need to tow prior to the gauges getting here is a #3500 GW ATV trailer.

Am I running any risk of burning anything up without being able to monitor the EGT like this? I think I should be OK without a chip until the gauges show up. Am I way off base?

I know I will need to let the brains reprogram after the intake and again with the exhaust.

Also a follow up question regarding the placement of the thermocouple.I drove long haul trucks for years and on everyone the probe was right after the turbo in the down pipe. Everything I see on here seems to indicate I need to install it before the turbo. Since I will replacing the down pipe I have the perfect opportunity to have a nut welded in place right after the turbo.

Is the location prior to the turbo selected because of the back pressure valve?

Thanks folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

placing the pyro after the turbo, shows a cooler reading than what is actual at the manifold. Drill and tap the exhaust manifold, its the best place for the pyro. Exhaust temps hit 1800*, before the turbo...your gonna burn the turbo up....1800* after the turbo....its already burnt up! Those #s are just thrown out there for an example.
Alot of people say gauges first. I and others have changed the exhaoust long before installing gauges. With no chip and just exhaust, you should be fine doing the exhaust first, especially if your gauges are on the way. Definatly do the gauges before a chip or custom tunes. While your thinking about a chip, consider the extra $$$ for a custom 6 pos. chip. You'll be alot happier than with generic tunes.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Cynic

Take the reading before the turbo. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Google Colorado Powestroke club. They are local to you and very helpful.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM

Thanks folks..
Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If anything the truck will run cooler temps with the exhaust and intake done. I wouldnt worry at all about that before the gauges. Deffinatly do the gauges before the chip tho.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I currently run a 4" straight through exhaust and a DIY free flow intake with no EGT gauge. I propose that high EGTs are caused by low air flow and high fuel flow. The intake/exhaust improvements should increase air flow and your fuel flow remains unchanged from OEM until you add the chip. This to say that you won't need gauges any more after the intake/exhaust mods than you did before.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Cynic

The ONLY downfall of the SD exhaust is the muffler and converter. Remove those, and the stock exhaust is fine.

The OBS trucks have a crappy downpipe. Replace that, you'll be fine. A 4in setup is just overkill for 80% of the trucks on the road.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
The ONLY downfall of the SD exhaust is the muffler and converter. Remove those, and the stock exhaust is fine.

The OBS trucks have a crappy downpipe. Replace that, you'll be fine. A 4in setup is just overkill for 80% of the trucks on the road.

This was my original plan of action however I cannot get a local shop to bend and install the muffler section for less then $150 nor can I find a pre-made pipe add a new down pipe and I am close to the price I paid for the Magnaflow system. It never had a Kitty.

A local shop gave me what I thought was a very good deal at $316 out the door.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

I always recommend Gauges first, only because it gives you a solid baseline so you are able to see how all future mods affect your truck, not because you are going to tear something up!!
Dirk is right, I have been proving it for years!!! There is no need for a full 4" system, the restriction is in the factory muffler not the size of the plumbing. I have no ide what you're talking about "bending all that pipe" all you have to do is rotate the S pipe 180 degrees and the straight pipe or straight shot muffler hook right up. Shouldn't cost more than $50 to have it all welded up.
Good luck

NCH
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Cynic

My 4in magnaflow is almost too small for the outlet flange of my turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.