triple guages - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
triple guages

hey guys
i got a set of auto meter triple guages with the driver side pillar pod.. has exhaust temp, trans temp and boost. comes with all the sensors and stuff. My truck is completely stock and I dont really plan on adding anything to it. i was gonna do some headers but its a diesel and I guess nobody makes them ( sorry I only had gas motors before and the diesels i had were company trucks so i didnt pay any attention to them). Is it worth installing the triple guages even though Im stock or should i sell them. As I said before i really dont plan on ading anything to the truck as far as performance stuff.
All i got was a reuseable foam air filter from true flow. I didnt notice any difference but i got it for the reuseability factor motor than the performance factor. I know its nice to have guages telling you stuff but are they really needed on a stock truck or is it a cant hurt anything by adding them so add them school of thought?

Also stuck my head under the truck and i did not see a catalitic converter. Although some people told me there should be one on there I know for a fact the truck was never messed with and the pipe looks factory no cuts or welds in weird spots. its a 1999 f 250 super duty 4x4 diesel extra cab. I was always under the impression diesels dont have catalitic converters cause they dont actually get smogged and cat cons would clog up with soot from the dirty diesel exhaust
Thanx for any light that can be shed on the subject.

Thanx
Rob

Last edited by Rob454; 06-05-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added more questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

You got em, install em! Even stock, the gauges will help you keep an eye on things.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Put 'em on. I guaruntee that if you keep the truck long. You'll at least get a tuner for it.

And there was no emitions requirement on diesels until 03, from my understanding. So, you won't find a CAT on anything older than that.

And while you can't get true headers, you can get better exhaust manifolds for your truck. But, I don't think it'd do anything for you. Do a Do It Yourself intake and exhaust. It'll cost you 350 bucks maybe. And be all you need. Especially without a tuner.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM

I read about the Tony Wild Man programmer and i may get that but so far I like the truck as it is. Little slow off the line till the boost picks up buit otherwise seems ok as far as speed goes. Slightly slower than my dakota and way different power band but other than that its fine for me.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
I read about the Tony Wild Man programmer and i may get that but so far I like the truck as it is. Little slow off the line till the boost picks up buit otherwise seems ok as far as speed goes. Slightly slower than my dakota and way different power band but other than that its fine for me.
It might be slower, but it's probably close to double the vehicle weight. Shop around for a tuner, but do not go with a generic tuner!!!

You'll be way happier with a Tony Wildman, DP, or PHP. There's also a few shops, depending on where you are, that can live tune most of the tuners you buy. That's the best way to go, but expensive. Don't be afraid of the price of the tuners I listed. They're definately worth EVERY penny.

I deffinately recommend you do gauges BEFORE you do a tuner. And at least find a shop to cut your muffler out and strait pipe your truck. Unless you're in cali. If you do a forum search for DIY intake, you can probably find about 100 threads that give you instructions on 'em. Cost you about 50 bucks. You don't NEED an expensive intake like AFE or K&N. I'm actually considering sellin my AFE and goin to a DIY (do it yourself). The AFE just get's dirty too quick.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM

If you sell the gauges...how much do you want for them?
but, yea everyone is right it is always good to know whats going on under your hood stock or not. and the tuner wise id get an sct or a tony wildman. i have an edge juice w/ attitude on my truck right now and its killing my tranny.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah, then your 7.3 might be a little faster than your dodge and you should see an improvement in fuel economy too. I just ordered a php chip for my excursion today. I can't wait, I'm like a little kid at christmas time. Once you drive it with tunes u can't stand to drive it stock.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokethis02 View Post
If you sell the gauges...how much do you want for them?
but, yea everyone is right it is always good to know whats going on under your hood stock or not. and the tuner wise id get an sct or a tony wildman. i have an edge juice w/ attitude on my truck right now and its killing my tranny.
I haven't run many tuners, but I thought SCT was a 6.0 thing?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
I haven't run many tuners, but I thought SCT was a 6.0 thing?
really???
i never heard that?
i was thinkin about getting the new touch screen w/ custom tunes.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

I don't know, I was askin bro...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.