early '99 questions (dp tuner install problem) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
early '99 questions (dp tuner install problem)

Hey guys,

Tryin to help a non-member buddy here.

He has a ’99 f350 dually with an automatic. He just ordered a chip from DP. His son installed it today and said it wouldn’t start…then pulled the chip and it started. Put the chip back in and it wouldn’t start…pulled it and it started. Tried it a third time and now the truck wont start in stock form without the chip in it. His son called jody and it sounds like the pcm may have fried (possibly due to an early ’99 chip on an upgraded PCM).

Couple questions for ya…assuming it was a good install (cause i know that could always be an issue).

- he’s not sure if it’s an early ’99 or not. Was the early ’99 pcm in the engine compartment like the ’97 and earlier trucks?

- I guess his son called jody and they may have determined the truck and / or PCM had been upgraded after they looked at the serial number on the PCM. Jody thinks (per the VIN number) that he sent him an early ’99 chip but it was put in an upgraded truck.

- If he looks for another PCM…should he try and get the “upgraded” one? And are they calibrated better to begin with?

Thanks guys…I know this is third hand but im just trying to help him out. If you can educate me on the early ‘99’s a little bit I can pass the info on to him.

ill try and check back but have to hit the sack soon. maybe i can get him to join this site!! thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Old 06-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If he gets a new PCM he may want to get the PMT1 PCM code It seems to be a desirable one...
That may be the PCM that Jody supplies...IDK. I know he sells them too.

As far as help and info, I think Jody will be his best source right now since it is his chip.

Good Luck
Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hey bud,The early 99's is on the driver side kick panel in the cab or at least mine is.I upgraded my pcm to a pmt1 calibration also since mine was corupt for some reason and made the tranny and crap act up.bad thing would be he would have to send it back to jody for a reburn and I think he charges $50 but he might do it for free since it hasn't even been used yet.The early 99 pcms are floating around and if you put up a want ad on here and psn,You could probably get one cheap or free since a lot of guys have upgraded.I would have gave him mine but like I said,it was corupted so I trashed it.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Think your best bet is gonna be to have your buddy get with Jody, and get the right PCM for the chip he already bought installed in the truck.

Jody is great to work with, so shouldn't be to hard.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok thanks guys. i didn't even talk to him yesterday cuz i've got alot going on. im sure he has talked to jody by now and i will ask him about the pmt1.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
Hey bud,The early 99's is on the driver side kick panel in the cab or at least mine is.I upgraded my pcm to a pmt1 calibration also since mine was corupt for some reason and made the tranny and crap act up.bad thing would be he would have to send it back to jody for a reburn and I think he charges $50 but he might do it for free since it hasn't even been used yet.The early 99 pcms are floating around and if you put up a want ad on here and psn,You could probably get one cheap or free since a lot of guys have upgraded.I would have gave him mine but like I said,it was corupted so I trashed it.
thanks chappy. since he said his was upgraded i wonder if it is the pmt1. i have not seen it yet. i wanted to help him with the install since i had just put mine in about 2 weeks ago but he had his son do it.

fyi...i still have to order the 6637 filter cover!!!! have not even done that yet!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have an early 99 truck as well and im just wondering that this pmt1 you guys are talking about is it just reprograming or is it a whole new pcm
Old 06-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new big toy View Post
i have an early 99 truck as well and im just wondering that this pmt1 you guys are talking about is it just reprograming or is it a whole new pcm
It is a pcm out of a 01 f250.You can get them used at junk yards.PMT1 is the name of the calibrations that the pcm has..I think its carparts .comI got mine from. It is not necassary but I needed a new one and it is an upgrade over the old one.Most tuners base there tunes off the pmt1 stradegy because it is the best that ford ever came up with for these trucks.The tranny shifting is a lot better also.But if you are getting some custom tunes,then its not really necassary because it won't be stock anyways.The only thing I was told by Bill at PHP is he can tune for bigger tires with the newer pcm and he could not with my stocker early 99 pcm.Other then that,he said it would not matter.Hope that helps.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxshin View Post
thanks chappy. since he said his was upgraded i wonder if it is the pmt1. i have not seen it yet. i wanted to help him with the install since i had just put mine in about 2 weeks ago but he had his son do it.

fyi...i still have to order the 6637 filter cover!!!! have not even done that yet!
sweet ,you got some custom tunes finally.yeh,my cover is still holding up good.I am just curious if any sand will get past it when I take it to the dunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.