Gauges not working right - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauges not working right

Alright I have only had my gauges in my truck since end of march and today while cruising down to the beach my EGT gauge was acting all weird then just died on me. I stop quickly and get under my truck and all the wires were still hooked up and looked good so I just went on my way not beating on it and just driving fine.

On the way back from the beach I went to go turn on my lights and the trans temp gauges goes right to 320 and I turn the lights off and it goes back down to 160 at what it was when the lights were off.

So I get home to look at all my wiring and it looks good. I turn my head lights on and I hear a buzzing noise and its coming from the trans temp gauge. What could be the problem? The boost gauge is fine and the trans temp only works when the lights are off otherwise it will go up not read right and say if im at 140 degrees it will read 190 and its really got me worried that something might be up with it.

The gauges are Stewart Warner Maximum performance series Boost, EGT and Trans temp. Any help will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

bump up for ya! I hate tracing wiring issues.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 PM

Thanks, Im hoping they are just bad gauges.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 PM

Kind of seems like a ground issue to me.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper17 View Post
Alright I have only had my gauges in my truck since end of march and today while cruising down to the beach my EGT gauge was acting all weird then just died on me. I stop quickly and get under my truck and all the wires were still hooked up and looked good so I just went on my way not beating on it and just driving fine.

On the way back from the beach I went to go turn on my lights and the trans temp gauges goes right to 320 and I turn the lights off and it goes back down to 160 at what it was when the lights were off.

So I get home to look at all my wiring and it looks good. I turn my head lights on and I hear a buzzing noise and its coming from the trans temp gauge. What could be the problem? The boost gauge is fine and the trans temp only works when the lights are off otherwise it will go up not read right and say if im at 140 degrees it will read 190 and its really got me worried that something might be up with it.

The gauges are Stewart Warner Maximum performance series Boost, EGT and Trans temp. Any help will be appreciated!
I was having a similar issue with my Isspro tranny guge, used to jump all over the place, weather lights were on or not. Go over ALL your wiring. back of gauges, ground connection, and other connections...i just jiggled a few wires around D/C and R/C wires and havent had a problem with it since
Old 05-26-2009, 05:19 PM

Sounds good, I have to do that and I called up summit where I bought the gauges they said to check all the grounds and if not they are replacing the gauges for me.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:43 PM

well like i said, just check all your connections. Good connections are ESSENTIAL to acurate trouble free gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.