First mods on new to me 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First mods on new to me 7.3L

I just bought a 2001 7.3L CCSB F350 with 65,000 miles on the clock. After some research, I thought that I would do some mods/replacements once I baseline the usual PM items.

1. 6.0L HD transmission cooler and in-line filter

2. Ford Severe Duty AIS and filter

3. EGT and Transmission temp gauges and CPS

4. Possible Dynatrac front hub and bearing replacement kit

I don't want to go racing - done that. Want a super-reliable, cool running tow vehicle for my Airstream.

Any comments, omissions?

Thanks

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You'll want to do something with the stock exhaust. If you like it as quiet as stock then a Walker BTM muffler should replace your OEM muffler. If you like it a bit louder then you can either replace the stock muffler with a straight pipe or replace the whole exhaust with one of the very common 4" kits. The OEM muffler has got to go, it has severe internal restrictions. I really like my free flow 4" system and it was only about 300$.

I tow a Nash trailer and a trans cooler upgrade is a must so I'm glad to see you have it.

Don't worry about the fancy hub upgrade. That's a lot of money for a small improvement in reliability.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the comments. Seems like I hit most of the bases. I think some mods on intake and exhaust will benefit performance and mileage. I'll look at replacing the muffler with a Walker BTM

Is a larger intake behind the AIS a good idea? How about the cut-out and fender foam idea -- does it provide good sealing and improve flow significantly? Is it a compromise on filtration?

Thanks,

M
Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Yeah, if your going to stay with stock tires then I wouldn't worry about the dynatrac. You can do the DIY mod for the intake and save some cash over the ford system
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
Yeah, if your going to stay with stock tires then I wouldn't worry about the dynatrac. You can do the DIY mod for the intake and save some cash over the ford system
Amen. The 6637/Tymar/BHAF filter is a good solid fiscally efficient upgrade alternative to the rather expensive AIS. Other than that, it seems you are on the right track mod wise... HOWEVER. Seriously consider a Transgo HD2 or even Tugger kit, or a BTS or John Wood Valve body to compliment your tranny cooler upgrade at the very least, if you want a good solid tow beast. Youll thank us later.
1. Gauges
2. Exhaust
3. Intake
4. Transmission cooler/ Transmission VB or SK at least.
5. Good chip with a tow tune if desired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.