DP F5 or F6 opinions from experienced users - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DP F5 or F6 opinions from experienced users

hey,

i've finally decided to go ahead and get my gauges and chip. ill be going with DP. ive emailed jody twice last week and he has got back with me right away with some good info.

i told him i dont want to build a hot-rod truck but ofcourse i want to feel a little bit of everything you guys talk about when u say these 7.3's wake right up with a good tune. i do want to improve economy and i talked with him about that. i also told him i would be towing my 9,000lb boat on occasion...but not all the time. (its for sale)

he suggested this:
- 60hp econo & 80hp econo tunes for the city and highway
- 60hp tow tune

couple of questions for u experienced guys:

- will i be able to have a little fun with the 80hp econo tune? or if i even think i want to have fun do i need to get atleast the 100hp performance tune?

- ultimately...would it be better to load up an F5 chip with tunes since it is $200.00 cheaper - or, with the F6 being available, is that pretty much the new and smart way to go so you can have ultimate control???

honestly, i dont want to hurt the trans with too much power by beating it and i want this motor to keep on going strong like it is...so, im trying to be conservative.

ive also read on here where the DP 80hp tune (i think) actually puts more to the ground than the superchips race setting...anyways, this is why im asking u guys.

specs are in the sig...(unknown if the trans has been rebuilt. i just guess that it has cuz it has pulled a fith and pushed snow prior to me buying it)

thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxshin View Post
hey,

i've finally decided to go ahead and get my gauges and chip. ill be going with DP. ive emailed jody twice last week and he has got back with me right away with some good info.

i told him i dont want to build a hot-rod truck but ofcourse i want to feel a little bit of everything you guys talk about when u say these 7.3's wake right up with a good tune. i do want to improve economy and i talked with him about that. i also told him i would be towing my 9,000lb boat on occasion...but not all the time. (its for sale)

he suggested this:
- 60hp econo & 80hp econo tunes for the city and highway
- 60hp tow tune

couple of questions for u experienced guys:

- will i be able to have a little fun with the 80hp econo tune? or if i even think i want to have fun do i need to get atleast the 100hp performance tune?

- ultimately...would it be better to load up an F5 chip with tunes since it is $200.00 cheaper - or, with the F6 being available, is that pretty much the new and smart way to go so you can have ultimate control???

honestly, i dont want to hurt the trans with too much power by beating it and i want this motor to keep on going strong like it is...so, im trying to be conservative.

ive also read on here where the DP 80hp tune (i think) actually puts more to the ground than the superchips race setting...anyways, this is why im asking u guys.

specs are in the sig...(unknown if the trans has been rebuilt. i just guess that it has cuz it has pulled a fith and pushed snow prior to me buying it)

thanks!
On a stock trans i wouldnt opt for the 100hp performance. 80 should be plenty to "have fun"
If money wasnt an issue i'd go with the F-6
DP "stock" tune puts more power to the ground than a superchips
Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke7.3 View Post
On a stock trans i wouldnt opt for the 100hp performance. 80 should be plenty to "have fun"
If money wasnt an issue i'd go with the F-6
DP "stock" tune puts more power to the ground than a superchips
thanks. yep, my gut tells me to go with the F6. im afraid i'd regret it if i didn't.

and im not looking for any trans issues right now so maybe ill shy away from anything over 80.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Dieselis' Maximus

my first set of tunes was similar to what you are looking at, I had the 40hp tow, 80econo,100hp tunes. I left it in 80 econo most the time broke out the 100 for fun. Didnt have any tranny problems.

Last edited by driximus; 05-18-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Big_Stroker
I ran a DP tuned chip for 3 years. And now after switching to something else i wish i would have earlier. I never liked the shift points
Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Stroker View Post
I ran a DP tuned chip for 3 years. And now after switching to something else i wish i would have earlier. I never liked the shift points
well that sucks to hear. but i know most of the reviews are good.

i just ordered mine this morning.

to start with i got the F6 with:
no-start / stock
60 / 80 econo
60 tow
super smoke
Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxshin View Post
well that sucks to hear. but i know most of the reviews are good.
Most reviews are good because most people haven't tried anything else. But everyone has there own opinions.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Stroker View Post
Most reviews are good because most people haven't tried anything else. But everyone has there own opinions.
yes they do. thats why its so hard to buy any dang accessory cuz there's so many options and opinions.

honestly, if i hadn't joined this site i would've never heard of tw, dp, ts, php, sct, and so on. i probably would've been one of those people selling their store bought tuners and buying a chip anyways. so, atleast i saved that step i guess.

this is my 3rd 7.3 but i never messed with the others other than putting a lift on one of them. so, im listening to the majority of guys who have lived it and breathed it for years.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:22 PM

I love my Dp tuner, and jody live tuned my truck about 2 months ago in Sopkane, wa. As for shift points mine are spot on, I can make it shift hard when i want or nice and smooth. as for tunes I went all out and bought the F6 and the list goes like this

0 no start
1 stock
2 1200 high idle
3 1200 high idle evb
4 drive thru (didnt want it but jody told me to try it)
5 40 tow
6 60 tow
7 80 tow
8 evb closed (exhaust break) LOVE IT
9 60 econo
a 80 econo
b 100 hp
c 120 race
d 140 aggresive
e 140 extreme

I have 6 inch lift and 37" toyos and a stock tranny with a vavle body and other goodies on the motor and can run and of the setting with out tranny slip, I hope you enjoy your new tuner as much as i have
Old 05-19-2009, 12:26 PM

You have more money in your tuner than i do in my motor LMAO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.