Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DP F5 or F6 opinions from experienced users

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  SCUFFY828 
#1 ·
hey,

i've finally decided to go ahead and get my gauges and chip. ill be going with DP. ive emailed jody twice last week and he has got back with me right away with some good info.

i told him i dont want to build a hot-rod truck but ofcourse i want to feel a little bit of everything you guys talk about when u say these 7.3's wake right up with a good tune. i do want to improve economy and i talked with him about that. i also told him i would be towing my 9,000lb boat on occasion...but not all the time. (its for sale)

he suggested this:
- 60hp econo & 80hp econo tunes for the city and highway
- 60hp tow tune

couple of questions for u experienced guys:

- will i be able to have a little fun with the 80hp econo tune? or if i even think i want to have fun do i need to get atleast the 100hp performance tune?

- ultimately...would it be better to load up an F5 chip with tunes since it is $200.00 cheaper - or, with the F6 being available, is that pretty much the new and smart way to go so you can have ultimate control???

honestly, i dont want to hurt the trans with too much power by beating it and i want this motor to keep on going strong like it is...so, im trying to be conservative.

ive also read on here where the DP 80hp tune (i think) actually puts more to the ground than the superchips race setting...anyways, this is why im asking u guys.

specs are in the sig...(unknown if the trans has been rebuilt. i just guess that it has cuz it has pulled a fith and pushed snow prior to me buying it)

thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
On a stock trans i wouldnt opt for the 100hp performance. 80 should be plenty to "have fun"
If money wasnt an issue i'd go with the F-6:nod:
DP "stock" tune puts more power to the ground than a superchips:hehe:

#3 ·
thanks. yep, my gut tells me to go with the F6. im afraid i'd regret it if i didn't.

and im not looking for any trans issues right now so maybe ill shy away from anything over 80.

#4 · (Edited)
my first set of tunes was similar to what you are looking at, I had the 40hp tow, 80econo,100hp tunes. I left it in 80 econo most the time broke out the 100 for fun. Didnt have any tranny problems.

#5 ·
I ran a DP tuned chip for 3 years. And now after switching to something else i wish i would have earlier. I never liked the shift points

#6 ·
well that sucks to hear. but i know most of the reviews are good.

i just ordered mine this morning.

to start with i got the F6 with:
no-start / stock
60 / 80 econo
60 tow
super smoke

#9 ·
I love my Dp tuner, and jody live tuned my truck about 2 months ago in Sopkane, wa. As for shift points mine are spot on, I can make it shift hard when i want or nice and smooth. as for tunes I went all out and bought the F6 and the list goes like this

0 no start
1 stock
2 1200 high idle
3 1200 high idle evb
4 drive thru (didnt want it but jody told me to try it)
5 40 tow
6 60 tow
7 80 tow
8 evb closed (exhaust break) LOVE IT
9 60 econo
a 80 econo
b 100 hp
c 120 race
d 140 aggresive
e 140 extreme

I have 6 inch lift and 37" toyos and a stock tranny with a vavle body and other goodies on the motor and can run and of the setting with out tranny slip, I hope you enjoy your new tuner as much as i have

#10 ·
You have more money in your tuner than i do in my motor LMAO

#11 ·
No I Dont! All my tunes were free, Ill i had to do was Pay for the tuner and go to the live tuneing event. jody did the rest! Do some homework before you start bashing on other peoples threads. And dont forget your the Tard you used dp tuner for three years then decied you want something different!!!

#13 ·
Ya Iam sure you have, Concidering you Graduated in 2006, and with your ****y attitude I bet you get black eyes all the time Like that nice shiner you have in that picture with that throw down you call Amy! and I know of people getting over 250,000 miles with there dp tuner. I dont think all that happend to your motor from running it in 80 econo for too long. It was because you are young and cant handle haveing all that power under your foot, so you probley had that tuner turned all the way up all the time hot doggin around town Trying to impress that Girl, Umm whats her name, o ya Amy.

#17 · (Edited)
Dude you don't know anything so why dont you just STFU. I havent been in a fight since i was in 5th grade. I got that black eye in a wreck. And I don't appreciate you bringing my girl into this.

All I was doing was making a little joke about your chip and all the tunes you have on it and you had to go make a big deal about it so I don't want you to say anything about a sh!ty attitude.

Just because I am young doesn't mean I went around driving it on the high setting all the time. I will admit when I 1st got it I was a little hard on it. But 90% of my driving was in the 80e.

Like i said I am not the only one that has had this issue. Funny that there are 4 trucks that I know of that this has happend to with stock injectors and a DP Tuner. I cant think of any that this has happened to with a different tuner I'm not going to blame it fully on it but it sure did play a part.

#21 ·
:bottom: :hehe::hehe:

All kidding aside, I have only been in this diesel game less than a year myself. I gets lots of info. from this site. I run a DP Tuner and unless I'm towing a trailer I am always in 80 econ. I will say that I'm gonna look into what Big Stroker was talking about.

Now for some info. for the original poster and to get back on topic...I ask Jody at DP how much additional torque you get on 80 econ. The reply was "The last time we tested on a stock truck we got on 80 econ 105hp/185tq."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.