ISSPRO has let me down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy ISSPRO has let me down

Having some issues with my tranny gauge, upon start up this afternoon the needle shot up to 160 180ish and continued to climb fast, almost pegged the gauge. Truck was in park idleing.
Shut the truck off and started it back up, gauge acted normal, started to drive home from school, made it out of the parking lot and gauge shot right up to 220 and eventaully pegged itself out on the way home.
Initally i thought my tranny was fixin to sh!% on me so i crawled underneath the truck and its barely hot to the touch so i know its a gauge issue. Checked all connections everything looks good.
Anyone got any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM

I don't know man... I have been having problems with my ISSPRO gauges since day 1. About a year and a half ago I installed my gauges and the pyrometer NEVER went passed about 400 or so... After a while I called ISSPRO and they sent me a new gauge and wiring harness, installed both new items, and still NEVER goes passed 400-500... And now in the past month or so my tranny temp gauge is somehow loose somewhere, so it will be at its normal 160, I hit a bump and it will bounce all over the place... 190...220...back down to 160...I am not very pleased to say the least...
Old 05-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbrichie View Post
I don't know man... I have been having problems with my ISSPRO gauges since day 1. About a year and a half ago I installed my gauges and the pyrometer NEVER went passed about 400 or so... After a while I called ISSPRO and they sent me a new gauge and wiring harness, installed both new items, and still NEVER goes passed 400-500... And now in the past month or so my tranny temp gauge is somehow loose somewhere, so it will be at its normal 160, I hit a bump and it will bounce all over the place... 190...220...back down to 160...I am not very pleased to say the least...
Im not ready to jump all over ISSPRO's a$$ yet as it may be just a simple fix and untill now my gauges have been great. However after spending a good $300 im not gonna let it go unsolved
Old 05-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Check all your power leads. I'm running autometer gauges, and nicked a pwr wire, causing a short to ground. It would peg my gauges, and pop a fuse. You may have a similar thing happening. Wiring can be aggravating.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:13 PM

Check your grounds. Get a volt meter and test the voltage at the back of the gauge.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 PM

What style of gauge are you running? EV or EV2 or Performax?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Could also be the sender itself not grounded good. I know most of them are a 1 wire sender and it grounds itself when installed.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Check all of your connections. I had a problem with my trans temp gauge almost exactly what you are describing, it would jump up real high and if i wiggled the wires it would drop back down. It was the butt connectors i used for the extension wire.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Could also be the sender itself not grounded good. I know most of them are a 1 wire sender and it grounds itself when installed.

Isspro use two wire senders...
Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Blowinsmoke7.3's problem could either be an intermittent connection to the temperature sensor, or an intermittent connection between the amplifier box and the gauge head. Most likely culprit is the connection down near the temp sensor, pull it apart and check for corrosion on the contacts. Try scraping the contacts with a tiny screwdriver, then add some dielectric grease when reassembling. If that doesn't fix it, check the resistance of the sensor. Here are the nominal values:
Res Temp F
1115 100
1293 140
1393 160
1609 200

If it is significantly off of this curve, then you have a bad sensor. If the values look good and the connection is cleaned up but you still have a problem, check the set screw connections on the wiring going into the amplifier box. Next check the connections going into the back of the gauge. If all these things check out and you still have a problem, then it likely has an intermittent connection within the amplifier box.

dmbrichie -
Your trans temp sounds like the same thing as above. The pyro sounds like a bad connection to the thermocouple. Check the connection between the amplifier box and the thermocouple. If you have a good multimeter which can measure down to the millivolt range, try disconnecting the thermocouple and measuring the voltage across its wires. At 290F (idle for most trucks) you should see about 5.01 mV. If that checks out, along with the connections to the amplifier box, then you probably have an intermittent connection in the amplifier box.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.