supercharged 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
supercharged 7.3

Hey guys what do you think. I was going to attempt my own twin turbo hybrid for my powerstroke. I read a few articles on some that people have made, but I thought I would try a belt driven vortech supercharger. I want to us the type that looks like a turbo, only belt driven. 6psi of boost huffing into the stock turbo, similar to a cummins twin. Tandem. I can't afford to setup a twin like banks does on ther v-8 gas engines. That would take too much manufacturing. This way I figured I could make a bracket to mount it and either find a longer serpentine type belt the same width as the stock, just longer. Or I could stack two pulleys off of an idler or something and have a separate belt for the 'charger. I've been kicking it around for a while, and found some good used ones on ebay, it could be worth it. As long as I don't damage anything I could always put it back for sale. By the way anyone interested in a Banks Big Hoss module for the 7.3, programmed to level 5 (120hp):burnout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Banned

i would be leary of a blower on a 7.3....and correct me if im wrong whoever looks at this....but its not the PSI that scares me...its the volume. turbos can put out all kinds of pressure...but the volume is easily controllable since it is powered by exhast gas. the blower's volume is controlled by the engine and could at any time go over the engines working capacity for charge since rpm's vary so much......and all motors built for superchargers have lower compression due to the higher volume air charge.......i may be relating gas motors too much in my theory....but i also think that more people would be doing it if i was wrong....so thats my guestamite on it and lets hear what the other guys think.....?????
Old 02-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Not so much that but a centrifugal supercharger is basically parasitic load till it comes to boost and starts pulling its weight. It actually takes more to run them than a turbo or twin turbo setup. I think this would add to the effect of turbo lag a lot. I'm kinda thinking about how volume would relate to boost pressure. Seems since the blower is engine driven, that woudn't really be an issues with the right pulley selection.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by overl0rd
Not so much that but a centrifugal supercharger is basically parasitic load till it comes to boost and starts pulling its weight. It actually takes more to run them than a turbo or twin turbo setup. I think this would add to the effect of turbo lag a lot. I'm kinda thinking about how volume would relate to boost pressure. Seems since the blower is engine driven, that woudn't really be an issues with the right pulley selection.
i totally agree...but with trying to match a blower to a diesel...which pulley do you use.....and you could create problems with the wrong pulley....although i had not considered the parasitic load idea....and that is a good thought too...this one is a lot more complex than it would seem in theory.....
Old 02-10-2006, 02:23 PM

I say try it and let us know how you make out. I'm sure it has been done before, I just haven't read or heard about it. I don't think you will damage anything, unless you really mess up doing an install or overspeed the charger and it blows apart.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch
I say try it and let us know how you make out. I'm sure it has been done before, I just haven't read or heard about it. I don't think you will damage anything, unless you really mess up doing an install or overspeed the charger and it blows apart.
im curious myself......
Old 02-10-2006, 03:37 PM

I am still debating this being good or bad. I do nto see a problem because all I feel will happen is it will gain some power but i do nto beleive it will "double" or give so much that is will hurt anything. When I say that I am speaking of internal engine components. I would just not go over 9-12 lbs of boost on the supercharger and I think you will be fine. This will be an interesting one to follow. You may start a new trend of adding power.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:00 PM

I don't expect him to pick up any power. If he doesn't do injectors to flow more fuel the extra air isn't going to gain him much of anything, especially with the loss of power to run the supercharger. If it does flow more air and doesn't use to much power, it might help to be able to run a set of a little bigger injectors with the stock turbo.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch
I don't expect him to pick up any power. If he doesn't do injectors to flow more fuel the extra air isn't going to gain him much of anything, especially with the loss of power to run the supercharger. If it does flow more air and doesn't use to much power, it might help to be able to run a set of a little bigger injectors with the stock turbo.
one intersting thing to think about....although i dont know if this in any way will end up being the case......is that the only way to overcome the atomization you guys are looking for with the big oil systems is to add more air....thus creating more heat with the combustion and adding to the amount of fuel can be burned.....this could....although i doubt it.....create enough heat to burn some of the unbrunt fuel on the higher chip settings that just ends up being smoke......i dont think this is going to help....but im curious to see........Marc
Old 02-10-2006, 04:20 PM

I know plenty of poeple with supercharged motors and I am going to say that everyone says it is such a big loss of power but in all honesty it is not as much as you think. Yeah it takes the motor to turn it but it doesn't matter that much. A little mustang here locally took off the intake tube of the supercharger and run just the filter so it was not blowing into the intake but left the belt on so the motor was still driving it and then he took off the belt from every accessory except put a shorter one on just to run the water pump and he only gained 3 tenths in the 1/8 mile. Now that is not enough to worry about especially not when it gains him around a full second when runnign it. Also when you get more air and not more fuel than you are running in a more lean condition which in a gas motor (i am not sure if it is the same for diesel) will definetely give you more power and way better throttle response. You want to run a gas motor as lean as you can within safe limits to make the most power you can. We dynoed our truck and playing with the fuel pressure and injector size we gained 50 rwhp because the truck was running off the chart rich and we took it to a leaner state. Now if I am wrong then please correct me because I do not know so much about diesels. Maybe it is totally different but the supercharger thing will be the same no matter which motor. If you really wanted then you could say the turbo kinda takes power also since it does cause a restriction in the exhaust. Please nobody take this as a flaming message just stating what I think and looking to be corrected if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.