chip and tranny - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
chip and tranny

So I had a new stock transmission put in my truck a few days ago and they agreed not to void my warranty on the tranny if I chipped it. I told them I had a superchip, so they wrote on that on the invoice.

I since have sold my Superchips 1705 for $200 and want to keep the truck stock for a while. I miss picking up faster, but I sorta like how the truck feels now. I wish I would have gotten a built tranny, but I needed it by Monday and didn't have time to have a BTS or Suncoast put in it.

Anyways, to my question. If I put a DP or TW chip on it can Ford tell that it isn't a Superchips? I plan to get one or the other in a few months. I don't want to get another Superchips 1705 because I want something different. If I have to have a Superchips 1705, then I think I would rather keep it stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 04:28 PM

I'm not 100 percent sure but I dont think the tw or dp can be traced when it is removed. Someone correct me if Im wrong.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:14 PM

Well if you know what you are looking for you can figure it out. You have to clean the PCM contacts off for your chip... stock ones have some nice clear silicone over them...
Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Years ago I fried my computer and bought a new one from my local Ford dealer, it was obviously a reman unit and it had the contacts already sanded off and it was obvious it was done by hand and had a chip in it at one time. If they sell computers like that then I don’t see how they could grip about yours being that way or prove you had a chip in it. I too bought a new ford reman tranny a couple years ago, ($2,035 with 3yr 75K warranty) I didn’t tell them nothing, I figure it is none of their business and the mods I have done to my truck should make the tranny last much longer than their crappy stock setup. I also took the original valve body out and put a BTS body in her.
The one thing they made me do for my warranty was to replace the cooler with a new one and keep the receipt for proof, I had already added a 40K trucool to her so now I got 2 40K trucool coolers on her.

If I were you I’d chip it and be happy. IF you do have to take it back for warranty work just remove the chip and if they give you any crap then politely deny, deny, deny.

To answer your question, if you remove the chip or programmer then they cannot prove anything, they can claim anything but can’t prove nothing. You just got to stick to your story that all the gauges and intakes and 5” exhaust etc. is for looks and bragging rights but you’d never consider messing with the computer.

Heck there are even some dealerships that sale and install programmers and chips.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
Years ago I fried my computer and bought a new one from my local Ford dealer, it was obviously a reman unit and it had the contacts already sanded off and it was obvious it was done by hand and had a chip in it at one time. If they sell computers like that then I don’t see how they could grip about yours being that way or prove you had a chip in it. I too bought a new ford reman tranny a couple years ago, ($2,035 with 3yr 75K warranty) I didn’t tell them nothing, I figure it is none of their business and the mods I have done to my truck should make the tranny last much longer than their crappy stock setup. I also took the original valve body out and put a BTS body in her.
The one thing they made me do for my warranty was to replace the cooler with a new one and keep the receipt for proof, I had already added a 40K trucool to her so now I got 2 40K trucool coolers on her.

If I were you I’d chip it and be happy. IF you do have to take it back for warranty work just remove the chip and if they give you any crap then politely deny, deny, deny.

To answer your question, if you remove the chip or programmer then they cannot prove anything, they can claim anything but can’t prove nothing. You just got to stick to your story that all the gauges and intakes and 5” exhaust etc. is for looks and bragging rights but you’d never consider messing with the computer.

Heck there are even some dealerships that sale and install programmers and chips.

Thank you.

When I bought my new tranny I told them I wanted to chip the truck. At first hey said it'd void warranty, but then I said I would rather take it to somewhere else to have my tranny replaced so he then asked the manager if it'd void my warranty and they said no. On my invoice it clearly states:

"Customer has a Superchips chip and it will not void the warranty at Bartow Ford. Signed per management."

Like I said, I'm keeping it stock for a few months and then I want a custom chip. I want a DP or TW chip/tuner. I really want one that has tow, heavy tow, economy, daily driver, street/performance (for going fast) and then one that has a smoke tune.

The only thing I'm worried about on the smoke tune is that I'll kill my tranny quick since it's just another stock tranny.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

No they can't tell which chip you used? They can look for signs that will point to a chip, as well as look at the back of the PCM, but if you know what to say you can easily explain what they find. I wouldn't have told them NOTHIN!!! I would put a tuned VB in the trans before running any type of chip or tuner. Just my advice, same as .002

NCH
Old 05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I agree with NCHornet, put a valve body in her, I did mine at the first fluid change at 20,000 miles. And put an extra cooler on her and a temp gauge, then put what ever chip you want in her and don’t worry about it.

Apparently they didn’t know what they were talking about on your receipt anyway, there is a big difference between a Superchips tuner and a Superchips chip, since it says chip then that means the varnish will be removed from the computer anyways.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
No they can't tell which chip you used? They can look for signs that will point to a chip, as well as look at the back of the PCM, but if you know what to say you can easily explain what they find. I wouldn't have told them NOTHIN!!! I would put a tuned VB in the trans before running any type of chip or tuner. Just my advice, same as .002

NCH
My truck went to the dealer on warranty a few times. And everytime it popped a 603 something code. Don't remember the letter, but the mech said that code gets locked in if you've run a chip in 'em. And that "no, I wouldn't see it on my own code reader."

They never said a single negative word about honoring the warranty. The only thing they ever asked is that I'd remove it before they worked on the truck so they didn't mess up anything.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
My truck went to the dealer on warranty a few times. And everytime it popped a 603 something code. Don't remember the letter, but the mech said that code gets locked in if you've run a chip in 'em. And that "no, I wouldn't see it on my own code reader."

They never said a single negative word about honoring the warranty. The only thing they ever asked is that I'd remove it before they worked on the truck so they didn't mess up anything.
Yep, that’s where the knowing what to say thing comes in, see that mechanic didn’t tell you that code 603 is KAM (keep alive memory or something like that) anyway the code will be set anytime you reprogram the computer “”OR”” unhook the batteries!!!

An informed person would reply to the mechanic, I got no idea why it would be showing a code like that, I did unhook the batteries a couple times hoping it would reset the computer and fix the problem, hoping I wouldn’t have to bring it in.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
Yep, that’s where the knowing what to say thing comes in, see that mechanic didn’t tell you that code 603 is KAM (keep alive memory or something like that) anyway the code will be set anytime you reprogram the computer “”OR”” unhook the batteries!!!

An informed person would reply to the mechanic, I got no idea why it would be showing a code like that, I did unhook the batteries a couple times hoping it would reset the computer and fix the problem, hoping I wouldn’t have to bring it in.
Well, that is really good info!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.