Tranny Service Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
My JWVB install thread

My JWVB and tranny filter should be here thursday, and I am installing them on Sat. Without getting into the whole Mercron III vs. 5 debate..... (i'll be using III)What is the total capacity of the tranny and TC?
If I drain the pan at the plug, will it drain my TC? Or is there a drain on the TC itself? Or do I have to disconnect the return line from the cooler to drain it all?

Anyone got a good writeup?

Last edited by Southpaw; 05-12-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Title change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
My JWVB and tranny filter should be here thursday, and I am installing them on Sat. Without getting into the whole Mercron III vs. 5 debate..... (i'll be using III)What is the total capacity of the tranny and TC?
If I drain the pan at the plug, will it drain my TC? Or is there a drain on the TC itself? Or do I have to disconnect the return line from the cooler to drain it all?

Anyone got a good writeup?
You'll have to drain the TC separately, Southpaw. There's a rubber access plug @ the bottom of your bellhousing. Pull/pry it off & see if the plug on the TC is lined up with the hole. If not, throw a breaker bar on your crank pulley nut & turn it CW until the plug's lined up. I forget what size the plug is, but it's small. I don't know if you know, but just make sure when you refill your ATF to run through all the gears(& cycle your OD on/off)while it's running & check your level in neutral with the truck running. Unless you already know this, in which case, I'll shut my piehole!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

A total fill of the transmission and TC is 17 or 18 quarts depending on if you have a 20 plate(17qts) or a 26 plate(18qts). Not really sure how to tell the difference of the two, but just a bit of info for you.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06F250FX4 View Post
A total fill of the transmission and TC is 17 or 18 quarts depending on if you have a 20 plate(17qts) or a 26 plate(18qts). Not really sure how to tell the difference of the two, but just a bit of info for you.
I don't mean to hijack, but what does 20 plate or 26 plate mean?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

It's how you rate a trans cooler, by plates or cooling tubes. The more the better.
Southpaw, only the 2000 and earlier had the TC plug, but I wouldn't bother with that. I would do a complete flush. I have written the process before but here are the highlights.
Drop pan, replace filter and install new VB ( make sure you have a inch torque wrench and you follow the proper pattern, from the center out) , reinstall pan and fill with 7 quarts of new fluid. Now pull the return line from the cooler at the back of the trans. Place a 1/2" clear hose ( IIRC) over the line and put a hose clamp on it. Run the other end to a container of some kind. Have somone get in the truck and start it, have them stop in each gear for three sec. as soon as you see large air gaps in the clear line tell them to stop, fill with 7 more quarts and repeat, do the shifting again, now reattach the rear line and top off as needed. This will be arounf 21-23 quarts, I would just buy 24 so you have some extra. This way you get all the old fluid out of the pump, coolers, lines, TC etc....
PM me with any ?

NCH
Old 05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

So when I first drain it, how much is going to come out?
I know that sounds stupid to keep asking, but I really don't want to have too small of a container under there when I drain it.

Thanks for reminding me about the in-lbs torque wrench, I did forget about that.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Sweet.
Look what just showed up a day early.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Hey is this the return from the cooler?

How does it disconnect.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i am getting ready to do this also.. what is a good valve body to buy and how hard is it to change while having the pan off?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

I bought one from ITP. A John Wood Valve Body.
They are all good i'm sure, BTS, FTVB.....

swapping the VB itself can be changed in just two minutes while the pan is already off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.