Not another teen thread... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not another teen thread...

Okay, as a previous long time member of performance, automotive forums, I can understand where everyone starts to come unglued when you ask questions like “what do I do first? K&N filter or under-drives?”

That being said I know ZERO about diesels, other than if Ford didn’t make one, I would never own one. I was told that the 7.3 was the way to go for over all power, with the newer motors obviously making more initial/stock power.

I was also told head bolt, egr cooler, and oil cooler horror stories with the 6.0, and terrible fuel mileage with the 6.4.

I was informed that the 7.3 however had the weakest transmission (automatic)of the group.

For the seasoned guys/girls what would you do if you had it to do over? (price of vehicle, and personal preference on looks aside) (cause everyone knows the 99-04 body is drop dead gorgeous!!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

i do like my 7.3 's as far as overall durabilty , as far as the trans goes , they like the 6.0 engine arent as bad as made out to be ,nice cold air intake , 4 inch exhaust and a good custom chip with trans tuned correctly will cure alot of the worries

Last edited by SCUFFY828; 05-05-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

I love my 2002 7.3L I dont have any complaints with my 6.0 but I have noticed that the 7.3l overall has more power potential then the 6.0, just to give you an idea my 6.0 has 140k on it and hasn't given me big problems so i guess its all depends what you want out of your truck but hands down My 7.3 is better for what i use the trucks for (towing horse trailers) I don't have an opinion on the 6.4 other then they are really quick stock from the factory floor. I would love to see what the 6.4 does with my tri axle horse trailer.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I haven't been around them long enough to give you any educated input o them but I personally like my 6.0. From wht I've read , with headstuds and EGR delete they are as reliable as any of the others. A DPF delete will solve the MPG problems with the 6.4's.

And in my opinion (which I know you didn't ask for) the 99-04 is the least attractive body style to me. I like the newer ones and even the OBS better. Not that I don't like the 99-04 but one of them has to be my least favorite and that's it.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:55 AM

LOL

Thanks for the input Jesse!!!
Love the newer trucks over all, just can't get over that huge grill... Maybe it will grow on me...

Anyways, I traded a 01 4.6L 4dr 2wd straight across for my 01 2wd ext. cab LWB diesel. KBB and NADA both showed that the diesel was worth 2400 more as a trade-in, which I plan(ed) on doing with either truck.

I want a 4dr 4wd srw (not sure on the long or short bed yet). I have found a beautiful 03 with 110K Lariat, sunroof, 6disc, the works.
But it is the 6.0 motor (build date is 01-03 which I thought should be the 7.3, but it is what it is).

I love the truck just afraid of the motor (not sure if it has the 4R110 or the 5R110 tranny)

I have a 4000lb (with trailer) wake board boat, and that should be the extent of my towing.

Im just tired of breaking off vettes and firebirds in my mustang and would love to do it in a 9000lb truck instead!!!

Aiming for 350-450hp and 700-800lb ft.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The grilles are what i like about the newer trucks as opposed to the 99-04. They justlook a lot tougher on the road to me. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in with some more info on the motors.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Its going to be easier to make it into your horsepower range with a 6.0. To get around the 400hp range all you will need is a tuner. If you want to make it over that horsepower range then go with the 6.4
Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 AM

you can get good Hp#'s out of any of these engines as long as your wallet has lots of dead presidents in it. as goose said the easiest would be the 6.4 as it is a Common Rail.
and for the best lookin body style id have to say its the 05-07, followed closely by the OBS i love that one to
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM

whats OBS?
old body style?
92-98
If so, I really dont have a favorite between that and the 99-04, guess just depends on my mood, and how the truck is done.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 AM

^^^^ you got it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.