I'm new and I dont know what to doooooo!?!?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm new and I dont know what to doooooo!?!?!

Alright fellas,
I just recently bought my 2000 F350 from a guy who has already done some pretty decent amount of mods to it.. now here's where the problems and question come into play... ok, first of all the little hose (mines red)that goes from the waste gate back down to a sensor and to the intake on the front side, what is it exactly and what does it do?? second, I the dude put a T fittin in that air line and connected it to the boost gauge. now i'm new at this, but i'm pretty sure you aint gonna get the correct reading off that setup and that aint the proper way of installin that guage am I right?? and also he put a boost controller in the mix with the T fitting. (never seen that on a diesel) now when i first started drivin this thing it was pushin about 15Lbs. well curiosity bit me and i started messin with that controller seeing what difference it would make. with the Controller screw all the way out, it was still doin about 13 to 15lbs, with it all the way in, it didn't even read of the gauge, but "felt" like it might be pullin a little harder. the only thing is i was gettin surge every time i got out of the boost. so i screwed it back out, and now the gauge aint readin a damn thing either way, and the turbo still feels like its pullin the same as it was turned up and still surging. i checked all the fittins and and even the gauge. its all good. So overall WTF is... what does that line do to begin with and do you think my fiddlin with it may have caused me to mess somethin up??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

P.S. dunno what model exactly, but Garret is stamped on the housing...
just incase yall need to know...
Old 04-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

That is where I pick up my boost gauge reading.It needs to be set roughly 20psi,so the computer doesnt start to defuel .Btw..Welcome to the org..
Old 04-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The red hose is just a basic vacume created off the boost to open and close the waste gate!

Get rid of all the "crap" and t fittins and what not. Drill and tap the spider and put the pick-up for the boost gauge there. Its pretty accurate.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

welcome to the org. get rid of the boost controller. it isnt a ricer the boost line is in the correct place but 15 psi seems a little low.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

yeah i thought it was kinda low too... but is the turbo surge that i'm havin normal or what?? oh and wheres the "spider" ?? think i have an idea, but wanna be sure..
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
welcome to the org
Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Emergency Services

welcome to the org man
Old 04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
wriott

the spyder is the "Y" that goes into the heads. the intercooler pipe goes into it on the drivers side
Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin'patty View Post
Alright fellas,
I just recently bought my 2000 F350 from a guy who has already done some pretty decent amount of mods to it.. now here's where the problems and question come into play... ok, first of all the little hose (mines red)that goes from the waste gate back down to a sensor and to the intake on the front side, what is it exactly and what does it do?? second, I the dude put a T fittin in that air line and connected it to the boost gauge. now i'm new at this, but i'm pretty sure you aint gonna get the correct reading off that setup and that aint the proper way of installin that guage am I right?? and also he put a boost controller in the mix with the T fitting. (never seen that on a diesel) now when i first started drivin this thing it was pushin about 15Lbs. well curiosity bit me and i started messin with that controller seeing what difference it would make. with the Controller screw all the way out, it was still doin about 13 to 15lbs, with it all the way in, it didn't even read of the gauge, but "felt" like it might be pullin a little harder. the only thing is i was gettin surge every time i got out of the boost. so i screwed it back out, and now the gauge aint readin a damn thing either way, and the turbo still feels like its pullin the same as it was turned up and still surging. i checked all the fittins and and even the gauge. its all good. So overall WTF is... what does that line do to begin with and do you think my fiddlin with it may have caused me to mess somethin up??
First off, the red line is the wastegate actuator line, some guys disconnect that to build more boost. As long as you are not going over 30 psi, you are ok. The controller is probably actually your boost fooler, which keeps the computer from seeing over 22 psi and defueling and throwing an over boost code. By messing with it, you have probably thrown it way off and now need to get it set back to about 20 psi. Keep in mine the turbo is still making over 20, just the computer wont see it, it will only see what you set the fooler at.

You said it is surging when you let out of it. That is not surge, and is competely normal to hear, its just excess air in the intake system that the engine can no longer pull in, and just gets vented back out through the turbo inlet. Surge is a rapid "ch ch ch ch ch" sound when you are under a load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.