GT38R Report.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GT38R Report....

Well, after about a 12 hour install, I finally have my new turbo installed. Thought I would report on my opinion, experience so far with an update or two after I have driven with it a little longer. I couldn't really find any "reports" so to speak when I was trying to choose a turbo so I will do the best I can to explain what my experience has been for someone else.

First off, let me start by saying that prior to installing this turbo (along with bellowed up pipes and a non-EBPV pedistal) I was running the factory turbo with the red line to the wastegate disconnected and had been running it like this for a little over a year. Oh yeah, I also chose to go with the 1.15 A/R non-wastegated housing and installed an overboost eliminator.

My initial impression was that something might be wrong, it sounded somewhat like a 03-04 Cobra between 3-10psi (In my defense I was expecting it to be loud, but figured it would be the high-pitched turbo noise I am used to). After a little bit of reassurance from Dirk on here, I got out and played around some. I can see why some people say it is too loud, but I don't mind a loud vehicle as long as it sounds like it is in good mechanical shape. Boost numbers at WOT were quite similar to before the turbo swap....about 27-28psi. I didn't notice any more lag than from the stocker, in fact, from about 10psi to 25psi it seemed to build boost WAY faster. EGT's appeared to be about the same as before the install. The only other thing that I noticed on the initial test drive was that going up one of the hills here at 60mph on cruise it used to downshift out of overdrive accellerate back up to speed, shift back into 4th only to shift back into 3rd one more time before we got to the top. Since installing the GT38R it stays firmly planted in 4th at the same speed and load on cruise. It doesn't even sound like it is working hard anymore. This was the extent of my testing after the install due to having to do the install by myself in my driveway on Saturday and I was pretty tired and beat up.

Fast forward to Monday. On my drive into work I cruise down a divided 4 lane that has a speed limit of 65. Of course everyone runs 70-75 and who am I to get in their way? With the factory turbo I was running 5-6psi just cruising between 70-75. As I expected the GT38R actually runs LESS boost while cuising, around 3 psi. I expected this with the 1.15 housing, but didn't expect the difference to be so much. I am quite interested to see what happens to my gas mileage with this turbo, between the lower boost while cruising and the apparent increase in power in the midrange (as evidenced by no longer downshifting while going up that hill).

Hopefully this might give some other people contemplating a turbo swap a better idea of what to expect from the GT38R. I personally bought mine as a step towards a 400-450hp goal. I was already border line with 28psi on the stocker and it seemed like a logical next step. So far I am quite happy with my choice (although my wife says that the noise it "annoying". ) I will report back in a few days with any change (or lack of change) in my gas mileage.

-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good to hear, I am glad you went with the 1.15 housing. It works like a charm!

3-4 psi is what my wife runs in her Ex.. same setup you have on 37's...
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My boost numbers also dropped during highway cruising. I used to run 5-6 psi at 75 with the stock turbo and ATS housing, but now I run about 3 psi at the same speed with the 38r. I also noticed slightly lower egt's while cruising, 550-600 vs 600-650, but that could just be a fluke. I am running the 1.0 housing with stock injectors and am only able to hit 30 psi in 80e and can hit 32 in my 140 tune. As far as fuel mileage, I did not notice any real change, but my driving is very inconsistent as far as city/highway so I cant be sure on that. I average about 17.5 now with the turbo though, so it definitely did not hurt.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Hey green

you are doing this on stock injectors?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

As of right now, yes. I do plan on upgrading injectors in the future though, probably this fall/winter unless something happens.
-Aaron
Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM

I have read where people say that a bigger turbo on stock injectors acutally does worse. Its good to see you say that you noticed things a little better.

I cant stand the sound of my stock turbo with the ww on it. I guess Ill never be able to have big power
Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM

loving my gtp38r
Old 04-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
I have read where people say that a bigger turbo on stock injectors acutally does worse. Its good to see you say that you noticed things a little better.

I cant stand the sound of my stock turbo with the ww on it. I guess Ill never be able to have big power
I think it depends on what turbo and how big it is. I was told a modded H2E would have been a little slow to spool up with the stock injectors, but bearable until I could upgrade. The 38R was supposed to do great with stock injectors and be able to handle the power level and injectors I was looking to get. When it comes to a loud vehicle and driveability issues I have a pretty high tolerance, so the choice was somewhat simple for me. (Keyword..."somewhat")

As far as upgrading turbos and the noise...I don't know how they compare to a WW, but from what I understand the 38R is one of the louder turbos. You could probably post out and find out if there are any other options that are still at least close to "stock quiet".
-Aaron
Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 PM

I have a TN BB on my truck (I know, I know), I didnt realize how unreliable it was till I already had around 4k on it. I dont know if it is the elevation (around 6000 feet) but i cant seem to get over 16 psi. Without my tw I was hitting 13 psi at WOT. The truck runs well lol, Im not quite sure if i have a boost leak, but my EGTs are roughly the same as yours. The noise mine makes, I would assume, is the same as yours. I like it though, and when I do injectors Ill go with single shots as I have heard they are louder then splits.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Ok i got a question, i thought about upgradin my turbo sometime. My question is about the same as stated before, would it hurt my truck to get the 38R and keep the stock injectors. I do plan on gettin a DP tuner, just wondering if it was worth the money in upgradin the turbo, and leavin the injectors at stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.