Dp decel tune vs 4" exhaust brake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dp decel tune vs 4" exhaust brake

Which would be better or are they the same. I have both but only the DP is installed and it works quite well. I was just wondering, after a trip down from Tahoe, Ca., if the 4" exhaust brake would have been better. I pull a 40' 5th wheel that's LOADED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 09:27 AM

I like the EBPV brake.
Certain neigh sayers will claim that the 7.3's valve springs aren't strong enough to use an exhaust brake of any kind, but my setup doesn't generate enough back pressure for me to be concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel For This Useful Post:
SeeYa (08-05-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've used the DP decel tune and now have the BD-brakeloc. I much prefer the BD system over the dp brake. A full on exhaust brake will generate about 40psi engine back pressure where the EBPV max's out around 28psi, so an exhaust brake is 30% more effective but it'll cost you a pretty penny too. The EBPV isn't an issue for lifting valves but I don't know if the higher back pressure of an exhaust brake would or wouldn't be an issue....kind of doubt it since the big manufacturers (BD-Brake, Pac-Brake and Banks) all sell them for the 7.3.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_3500 View Post
Which would be better or are they the same. I have both but only the DP is installed and it works quite well. I was just wondering, after a trip down from Tahoe, Ca., if the 4" exhaust brake would have been better. I pull a 40' 5th wheel that's LOADED!
The max Jody allows for back pressure on the Decel tune is 69psi. He has seen as much or more than 80 psi BP on a stock turbo. This tune was tested years ago in Colorado at 7000+ ft and a good decline against a $1200.00 exhaust break system with no difference in how each performed. The guy was towing a fully loaded up with gear F350 Dually and a 15K RV. Autos have special tuning applied just like what BD has with their kit for late 99 and up to protect the transmission.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

As I stated and according to Diesel Performance technical support, the maximum back pressure an EBPV on a 7.3 was designed to create is 28psi. That was done specifically to prevent engine damage in the event the valve becomes stuck closed. The 7.3 Powerstroke has a maximum valve spring tolerance of 45psi. If DP is somehow able to use software to magically reconfigure a hardware butterfly valve on the EBPV to generate upwards of 69psi then that's pretty damn amazing, but I wouldn't use it. By the way, the BD-Brake full exhaust brake ships out preset with 40psi of backpressure to fall within the 7.3 valve spring tolerance, same as you will find with most exhaust brake systems for the 7.3. I say the EBPV is 70% as effective as a full on 7.3 exhaust brake cause the last I check 28/40=.7
Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfullback View Post
As I stated and according to Diesel Performance technical support, the maximum back pressure an EBPV on a 7.3 was designed to create is 28psi. That was done specifically to prevent engine damage in the event the valve becomes stuck closed. The 7.3 Powerstroke has a maximum valve spring tolerance of 45psi. If DP is somehow able to use software to magically reconfigure a hardware butterfly valve on the EBPV to generate upwards of 69psi then that's pretty damn amazing, but I wouldn't use it. By the way, the BD-Brake full exhaust brake ships out preset with 40psi of backpressure to fall within the 7.3 valve spring tolerance, same as you will find with most exhaust brake systems for the 7.3. I say the EBPV is 70% as effective as a full on 7.3 exhaust brake cause the last I check 28/40=.7
69psi is a set max limiter. As is the 45 psi BD has their device set at mechanically. The psi in which the SES light is set is not much more than 69psi. This is what Ford set it at when adding parameter limits. Jody is on phone calls right now and told me he be glad to explain later today.

This gives a great comparison to each. One is done mechanically with a device and one electronically. Each one performs the same function.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfullback View Post
BD Power - Product: 7.3L BrakeLoc

The BD brake loc is an EBPV brake bud. Good try though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel For This Useful Post:
SeeYa (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
BD Power - Product: 7.3L BrakeLoc

The BD brake loc is an EBPV brake bud. Good try though.
Yes, I am aware...I have a brakeloc installed on my truck. If you read my post, The BD full on exhaust brake is the one which generates 40 psi back pressure from the factory. The Brakeloc product which uses the EBPV generates a maximum of 28psi, as that is the max the butterfly valve can create....Therefore, my point to the OP is that the brakeloc product or DP product or any EBPV is 30% less effective than a standard exhaust brake.....geez.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Bart

My best advice here would be knowing the decel works great is sell the exhaust brake and take another trip to Lake Tahoe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.