ZF6 Clutches - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 04:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF6 Clutches

Looking at getting a Southbend clutch for my truck, and the 1944-60K seems to be the way to go so I can get rid of the factory flywheel. Has anybody ever used the 1939-DF, its the semi style clutch that will work with the factory flywheel. Could save a couple bucks but not sure if that is a good move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What are you planning on throwing at the truck? What's your plans for the truck; towing, Racing, DD, ect. Depending on your plans for the truck, the clutch you choose will be different. When you replace the clutch and not the flywheel, you need to get your flywheel resurfaced. If not, you can glaze over your new clutch and there goes a chunk of money. Also if you've never replaced the clutch fork, go with one from Ford. The old design was prone to break and it saves you having to drop the trans again if it happens.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:57 AM

What he said^^^^^
Also what I recommend is give them a call and talk to a representative. Tell them your plans, hp goal, and how your are going to use it. Also be realistic with your hp. A stock truck is around 250hp. You will be hard pressed to get above 400 hp. The previous owner of my truck put in a race clutch and thought it had all this hp and it makes it very hard to drive in every day operations.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbluke55 View Post
What he said^^^^^
Also what I recommend is give them a call and talk to a representative. Tell them your plans, hp goal, and how your are going to use it. Also be realistic with your hp. A stock truck is around 250hp. You will be hard pressed to get above 400 hp. The previous owner of my truck put in a race clutch and thought it had all this hp and it makes it very hard to drive in every day operations.
Agreed. I replaced my clutch with a 450 HP rated one. I plan to get to that tho in the next 6 months.

But as of now it shifts kinda hard unless im getting on it or have a good load behind me, then it shifts like butter.

And just like previously said, replace your clutch fork! I learned the hard way.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

I have the higher rated 1939... do not like it at all. Spend the money for the the 1944
Old 08-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

There is also no benefit to getting rid of a factory flywheel on these trucks. Thats with the OBS
Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used the 1944-6ok when I did my swap. I love the clutch. My truck is my dd, I've had the clutch in for a year and a half. Pedal effort is exactly what I would expect and want for the truck. I've only had the clutch get hot enough to smell one time and that was backing a heavily loaded trailer into a super steep up hill driveway at a real sharp angle. I didn't think to put it into 4lo until I smelled it.

I do have plans for more hp than the clutch is rated for but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, who knows how long that will be. In the mean time the clutch is perfect for my application. I would recommend it for a person with basic stuff.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I carry South Bend if your interested.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-01-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
There is also no benefit to getting rid of a factory flywheel on these trucks. Thats with the OBS
No but the benefit can be had when you dont have to wait to get your old one resurfaced. I need my truck every day so ordering the complete kit was great. One night job and good to go.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am getting ready to do a big overhaul with the truck, so I was planning on putting Stage 1 injectors and tuner when I have the cab off. Right now the truck just has 4 inch exhaust and a DIY intake. I think the 1944 will be the way to go because then everything will be new including the fork and flywheel. I believe its first clutch above stock horsepower, so shouldn't be a problem since I'm not trying to build a race truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.