Upgrading exhaust while keeping the cat? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrading exhaust while keeping the cat?

So my truck does not have the stock exhaust, its got a Magnaflow muffler with the stock size pipes and a single in dual out muffler which they then routed a pipe to behind each tire. This was done years ago and personally it never changed the sound a bit to me but anyways. I would like to keep my factory cat, i have no clue if its gutted or not i assume it hasnt been however. In Texas all you need it for is visual, but as far as the EPA is concerned its illegal to alter it in any way.

How do i check it to make sure it is not clogged?

What are the best options to keep it, the number of cat back systems are limited, is there a way to purchase a turbo back and integrate the cat in there without much trouble?

I would LOVE to do 5" exhaust and keep it dual like my current set up but the guy who did the current dual said it was a PITA to do this, and ive read that the in bed hitch messes up the ability to do duals. has anyone run into this and what did you do?

Since there is a price difference between the 4" and 5" versions of everything what are the main differences is there much extra sound with that 5" will i even get much sound by keeping the cat?

Adding this thought i just had, would it make sense to just order a turbo back system and get some Pipe size changers to fit in the Cat would that hurt it or would that work okay? I guess some pipe that was like a 3.5 one side and 5 on the other if i went 5" system?

Thanks!

Last edited by Lurch350; 07-21-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 PM

Just get rid of the cat man. You are one of very few superduty's out there that has one.

Keep it in the garage just incase you need it, but I doubt you ever will.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Or move to Alaska where we in courage straight pipes and diesel soot!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM

hahaha well i would love to do a straight pipe, and i might, however i want the option to have everything i need to put the cat and muffler back on if need be for an inspection or over the next couple years there is a possibility of me going out of state to live for a few years for more schooling, the chance is slim but its there, so i was thinking about when i do my exhaust upgrade buy a 5" turbo back system with muffler, then order the muffler delete pipe and then some 3.5-5 converters and cut a section out for me to do be able to plug it in there relatively easy.. would this work i guess is my main question i suppose. I always like to be overly prepared for things!

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 PM

It'll be a 4 inch downpipe to the 5 inch piping. It would work, I'd wouldn't be thrilled to be swapping my muffler in and out with straight pipe every time I leave though ha
Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokinAlaska View Post
It'll be a 4 inch downpipe to the 5 inch piping. It would work, I'd wouldn't be thrilled to be swapping my muffler in and out with straight pipe every time I leave though ha
Oh no i dont mean doing it very often at all! Depending on my inspection place i dont know if they do visual inspections or not and if its even required but i dont want to not be able to do it when that time comes if need be. If i moved out of state where it was required it would be 2 years from now and i would just put what was needed on, 99.99999 percent of the time it would be the regular option it would purely be changed for need be times!

Also just thought of something, being as the 5" kits come with a 4" downpipe and the cat would be 3.5 would that be bad for the engine to go from 4-3.5 if i ran it like that for any length of time?? or to keep the cat would i need to keep the original pipe to put it back on from the turbo back?

Last edited by Lurch350; 07-23-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 PM

it wouldnt hurt a thing, it would flow better than the stock 3 inch downpipe anyways.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:40 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

did all american 7.3's come with a cat? my '03 canadian truck didn't....
Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 AM

Don't think my 99 did, was stock when I bought it and removed the exhaust and only saw the muffler.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokinAlaska View Post
Don't think my 99 did, was stock when I bought it and removed the exhaust and only saw the muffler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
did all american 7.3's come with a cat? my '03 canadian truck didn't....

From what ive found, only the Early 99s came with a cat, then certain year model 6spds came with one and i believe California models as well. The vast majority dont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.