Hydra Problems!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hydra Problems!!

Early 99 F350 4x4

Got my Hydra chip yesturday and put it in last night..Pretty positive i did everything right.

Cleaned the silicone off conectors
Got the right hex code translation code and installed 15 tunes off the Hydra flash program that comes with the chip. Put it all back together and the truck started right up..Time for a Beat run right..

Started out in the 65hp daily..ran fine, switched to 80hp daily..ran ok for about 1 mile and the truck Hickuped and shut right off with the service engine light on..Switched back to stock setting and the truck started right back up..Drove it for a few min in stock and went back to the 65 daily figured my truck wont run the 80 and up cause i know it has limitations with the smaller injectors and Hpop and ICM..ran for a few miles pulled into a parking lot and it started Fluttering up and down..water in fuel light came on..This has never happend before putting the chip in..

Ran it home in stock mode and when i pulled in the driveway and came to a stop, truck shut right off..

Anyone know whats going on here..I just tried calling PHP no answere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The PCM probably isn't cleaned good enough.
Try that
Chatham036 likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I believe I overheard you talking to Sean earlier. If you need any additional help please let me know
Old 07-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I was talking to Sean earlier, He was awsome..we went through everything and came up with probably some silicone still left on the connectors in the PCM.

I re cleaned the connectors with some alcohol, plugged the chip back in and set to 65hp daily..Just ran about 20 miles with no issues..Thanks for the help!

Its really hard to tell if you got all the silicone off..rubbing alcohol and a Q tip works great.

Truck runs awesome, I can really feel the difference in the power and shift points. My Millage average really jumped up on the computer..but will wait to see what comes out to on paper to see how much i gained. I will be trying the TOW tunes out very soon..Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Glad it worked out for you.

For the record, 99% of all chip problems come back to improper cleaning of the pcm
Old 07-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Another reason why i will be doing business with you guys at php you are great to your customers! Now of only hydra flash would work on my macbook air! lol
Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM

PHP is awesome! When i was originally calling around trying to gain info on what chip i wanted i called PHP and there was no answer, i did not leave a message cause i figured id just call back in a bit. 2 min later Jay was calling me back saying he had a missed call from me asking if i needed any help from him. I got all my questions answered and gained even more knowledge that i had originally been looking for.

I will be buying a Hydra when i upgrade my injectors based on my previous experience with PHP. Great customer service and always professional!

Also, it took me 3 tries to get my PCM clean. I got down to the copper and gave it another try hoping i had not taken too much off and then everything worked great!

Glad you like the chip. I tow about 8K lbs and i really like the 80 HP tune. Very little smoke and runs at good temps.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Whistle Pig Driver

I had my local shop install my Hydra today (along with my Diamond Eye exhaust and RR billet wheel)and when I got in it the keypad was not lighting up. I figure that it is just not clean enough so I have taken it back out and had a look. Someone mentioned using alcohol to clean it. Rubbing alcohol?

When I got home I decided to pull out the computer and have a crack at it myself. I cleaned the edge connector more thoroughly with a scotch brite pad and plugged in the Hydra and reassembled everything. I knew as soon as I reconnected the batteries and hit the key something was amiss. It seemed to turn over super fast and would not begin to start. I pulled the Hydra back out as I was concerned that I might have caused some other damage to the computer. I reinstalled it w/o the Hydra and and everything seemed fine again. I checked the edge connector and it looks like I am getting into the copper below so I reluctant to go any farther with sanding it.

Last edited by McKinneyMike; 07-12-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 AM

Same thing happened to me, just make sure you get all of it off on top and bottom and body solvent is what I used and it wipes it right off and I installed again and it worked so I'm betting that is it. Also PHP is awesome!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Whistle Pig Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow51Stang View Post
Same thing happened to me, just make sure you get all of it off on top and bottom and body solvent is what I used and it wipes it right off and I installed again and it worked so I'm betting that is it. Also PHP is awesome!
Thanks for the tip. I am just not comfortable sanding the edge connector any further. I will try a suitable solvent on it and then reinstall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.