DP Tuner Explanation? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DP Tuner Explanation?

Hey guys I just bought my first ford... always been a cummins guy but i'm loving this 7.3. its a 2001 with intake, exhaust and what looks like a dp 4 stage tuner. Not sure if this is a decent tuner i've never heard anything about them? anybody have some info? Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

DP is becoming well known for being run by two incredibly arrogant people that like to spread BS and lies about competitors.

That said, if the tunes are older on that chip I would remove it ASAP. Their newer tunes, in the last 2-3 years, are much safer so I hear but the older ones were known for windowing engine blocks even with stock trucks that have forged bottom ends.

Personally I ran DP, I hated how touchy the throttle was, I hated the short clipped responses I got when I had the nerve to tell Jody I didn't enjoy aspects of the tune( like the throttle), I also hated the bang into second gear on every tune other than the tow tunes.

I much prefer my Hydra now and I ended up giving the DP away because nobody wanted it

Last edited by schlutzer; 06-26-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Schultzer pretty much summed it up. I don't like the touchy pedal and the fact that I wanted a tune REMOVED from the chip but Jody left it "since it was already there."
Also was talking with "someone" (wont say his name because he may not want that) and I was wondering about what power I could put to a powered metal rod motor in case that's what I had. He said you can run X with good tuning. (I already made note of having a DP) I asked what he meant by good tuning. I felt like he hesitated a second and all he said was "Jody's good" Idk if he said that as to not bash on Jody and be professional or if I'm just all wrong.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossc View Post
Hey guys I just bought my first ford... always been a cummins guy but i'm loving this 7.3. its a 2001 with intake, exhaust and what looks like a dp 4 stage tuner. Not sure if this is a decent tuner i've never heard anything about them? anybody have some info? Thanks guys.
If you have any questions about the chip or what tunes are on it, I would be happy to help you out. Just shoot me a PM, e-mail, or phone call. If you know the original purchasers name and it was bought directly from us, I can give you the tune info without removing the chip.

Also, feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:17 PM

I've got a DP F6 on my 7.3, i personally wouldn't go with any other chip,I have had no problems with throttle response and in tow mode it's just great no hard shifting , it's a matter of personal preference .Maybe that 4 stage you have is a little old now.

Just my 2 bob's worth.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I dealt with jody a couple times. Had no issues, he was cool on the phone. I sent my computer to him. I flashed my 01 with the 75 hp(approx) tune. Shifted fine, good mileage. Put the tow tune in my 99 dually. I liked it. I had no chip. Just flashed the pcm.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Well, I drove DP flashed pcm for some 50k miles, then I upgraded to the F6. Then I upgraded injectors to 160/30's....and I hated the DP tune. Sold it and moved on, much happier now. Running a Hydra with some custom tunes.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:30 PM

dp's new tunes are much less smokey. my friend just put in 165/30 single shots and the new tunes don't smoke a lot but the pedal is still pretty touchy which apparently is what windows blocks from what I've read.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:46 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Tony's tunes have a very touchy throttle too btw
Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 AM

The tunes of Tonys that I ran on a e99 were far from touchy

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.