First Day with the modified stock truck. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Day with the modified stock truck.

Good evening gents.

Today was my first day towing with the new mods. I have a 2001 F350 longbox crew cab. I tow a 14' tandem axle v nose trailer weighing somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8k lbs loaded.

My mods thus far are :

Air Raid cold air intake from DP (I liked the setup it had for the battery)
4" straight pipe exhaust
Hydra tuner using basic tunes in the library

Everything on the truck is stock other than that. She has 300k miles runs like a top, and ate 12k in work last year (Ford rebuilt tranny, leaf springs, full front end rebuild, and the list goes on)

So my results for today were mixed.

Towing on fairly level to slight grade on the Interstate 70mph I was averaging
5-7psi boost
7-800 F EGT
180-210 transmission temp

I realized later on my transmission temp sensor wire was pretty close to the manifold and I think that may have been playing with the temp reading for that. I'll zip tie that in a better location tomorrow.

Now for my concerns. I understood I might get some turbo flutter due to the chip. It is pretty bad when it shifts gears and flutters quite a bit. If my turbo is not bad I'll be adding a wwII onto it. Is 5-7psi boost normal when cruising at 65? The highest I've seen her go was 20 psi and thats when I'm really pushing her. What is a normal transmission temperature when towing? I am also noticing a grindy kind of feel when I'm not accelerating hard but still have a little pressure on the pedal. I think I have a bad axle u joint and attributed it to that but maybe I'm wrong? Lastly when accelerating with some boost is it normal for her to switch to 2nd gear and loose boost pressure real quick and lag a bit taking off in second?

So please read this and give me any pointers or observations you experienced diesel motorheads care to disclose. I would definitely appreciate your wisdom.

Last edited by rfunk1983; 06-10-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: missed some things in concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I haven't towed get but cruising I do the same boost wise until I hit a hill or pass someone, then I see 28 to 30psi. Trans temp I'm at 140 and egts I peaked at 800 doing 85 up a step 1 mile hill.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I haven't seen anything over 20 psi boost. My hottest egt was 1k but that was up steep grade with the trailer for a minute or 2 pushing her.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:03 PM

Strokin Alaska has a ww2 according to his sig so will see higher boost numbers. What tune are you using when towing. Mine also flutters/surges a bit when towing up large grades which is why I just ordered a rr billet wheel to cure that. When I towed over Memorial Day I hit 1250 EGT which is perfectly acceptable and my trans temp hit 190. I am also this weekend (hopefully) adding an additional trans cooler (tru cool). As for your shifting issues mine doesn't do that with my php tunes so not sure what to tell you there. The only funny shift I see is into od. Just a little slower/slushier than I would like. As for boost I see up to 24 with stock wheel on my boost gauge. Is your boost number from a gauge or through the map sensor as that usually reads a little low.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

boost is from auto meter gauge.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:52 AM

ya sounds like you need a better trans cooler.
and im really happy with my riffraff wheel.

5 psi at 65 is normal.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:05 PM

depending on weight your towing thats a normal temp range for trans, I'd still look into a 2nd or a 6.0 cooler though, but just be careful you dont end up in my shoes where trans runs to cool...other items you spoke of are boost surge (do a search on here for LOTS more info on what that it), and yes normal boost at cruze...

only thing that seemed off is max boost...while unloaded safley flog on it with the hottest tune even the canned ones should get 25ish psi, if not check into boost leaks. But with 300k on it if thats the stock turbo then thats actually not to bad
Old 06-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

trans temp

I will post back with an update after I move the trans temp wire. Like I said before I think I have it to close to the manifold and its getting really hot affecting the trans temp to the gauge. I actually have an aftermarket trans cooler twice the size of the original.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They say your transmission fluid starts breaking down when it hits 200 degrees. Each 20 degree drop in operating temp doubles the life of your fluid and your transmission. So I like to shoot for operating at 165 or less to extend transmission life.

The two popular choices in transmission coolers is the Tru-Cool Max Cooler, and the 6.0 transmission cooler. The stock cooler has 9 rows, the Tru-Cool Max has 13 rows, and the 6.0 has two models, 26 or 31 rows. I bought the Tru-Cool Max cooler from Dieselsite. It's a nice kit and is inexpensive @ $130. Link

It lowered my temperatures, but I haul a heavy camper and I still get close to 200 degrees on long mountain passes. I wish I had purchased the more expensive 6.0 cooler. It's cheap insurance.

I recently added the Delrale deep transmission pan from RiffRaff. Link. It's a deeper pan that adds an additional 5 quarts of fluid and has 9 air tubes that run through the fluid to help cool it. It's a nice unit. My transmission temps are noticeably cooler, but I haven't pulled any mountain passes with it yet to know if it did the trick.

At the same time, I installed a PHP hydra, and a John Wood Valve Body. The Hydra was on about a week before the valve body. My shop wouldn't install the PHP so I put it on myself about a week before the transmission valve body. The PHP made noticeable improvements in the shifting. By noticeable, they seemed shorter, and smoother. When I got the JW Valve Body on the next week, I didn't notice any difference, though I suspect I would have if I didn't have the PHP.

Last edited by ZRX-Steve; 06-11-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.