New tuner looking for tune help for hydra chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New tuner looking for tune help for hydra chip

I have an 01 350 7.3. I tow a tandem axle 14' trailer filled with several thousand pounds of tools, and since the old girl has 300k miles I decided I'd give her some power upgrades to make things easier. Thus far : cold air intake (not K&N ) 4" straight pipe exhaust, a set of auto meter gauges trans temp, pyrometer and boost, and lastly a hydra chip.

The Hydra chip is my stumbling block. I am new to the tuning thing completely and was hoping some of you educated tuners could point to the better tunes in the hydra library for a stock 7.3

I'm aiming for an economy, towing, heavy towing, performance, high performance and smoke tune mix on the chip.

Now I must clarify I have no intention of smoking with the truck. But I want it just in case some liberal has the nerve to approach me at a Mcdonalds drive through and tell me to turn my truck off because the "fumes" were obnoxious (this is a 100% stock truck btw, clean exhaust no smoke etc). Next time that happens I'm going to be prepared with the smoke setting!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure what your asking???

Are you having issues loading tunes from PHP's software library or are you looking for a different tuner to buy tunes from?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I'm learning about tuning on the fly. I purchased the Hydra based on the amount of positive feedback it had from people on the forums. It was a toss up between a TS, DP or Hydra tuner for me. Tony Wildman has a lot of praise as well and he was selling the Hydra on his site Total Diesel Performance

I understand the Hydra flash program but there are a million tunes in their standard library! I am using the vraaa tunes atm but I don't like the way the transmission shifts with them.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:15 AM

If you don't like the PHP tune for your calibration, then try one from Gearhead. He'll write you a tune and email it to you, just as others will. Except DP and Dyno Proven.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

tunes

with the Hydra there are only about 6-8 tunes that go with your hex code, it took me a while to figure that out.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psanfioren View Post
with the Hydra there are only about 6-8 tunes that go with your hex code, it took me a while to figure that out.
That's not correct. I only had a few tunes for my hex code and I emailed jay and they corrected it after I brought it to their attention. Make sure you enter in your hex code into the converter and it will tell you the exact code the use but if you look a little farther down the page there is a recommended code to use. Use that one. If it is blank use the top code. If you have any questions just email jay and he will help you. Stand up people.
CSIPSD likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbluke55 For This Useful Post:
hucorey (08-08-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

tunes

so how many tunes do you have for your hex code?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Over 20. There is some towing ones, daily driver ones, high idle ones, valet ones, and some others.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

tunes

thanks, i will give them a call tomorrow
Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To the Op, you can also run any set of tunes from the PHP library that is associated withe the same PCM code. For example if you have an xle4 on your PCM, which would be a dpc-402. Well you'll then be able to run any box code that also uses the same DPC-402. So you can then run any xle* box code.

The only slight issue from using tunes from different box code updates is that your engine may romp or stall while switching between them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.