New cooler, new intake, and questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New cooler, new intake, and questions?

Hello guys!

Sorry for starting a new thread, when i see someone just started a thread on the 6.0 cooler. But i have more to talk about then just the cooler.

Need some feed back on my mods and ask some more questions.

Ok so yes I have read everything on the 6.0 cooler update and probably should of gone that route..BUT i went a different direction to see how it would work. So after looking at everything available i went to auto zone and picked up a Torcflo trany cooler and ran it in series with the stock cooler in my early 99 F350. Now i did not do any drastic mods here all i did was bolt the cooler on the front of the grill and took the return line off and routed it to the new cooler and ran a new return line back out from that cooler..I drove the truck for over a Hr last night in 75 degree temp on the interstate with the cruise set at 2k rpm with is 63 mph in that truck..temps only got as high as 132* that is down a significant amount from what i was at before.

I did the routine filter fluid change when i did this also. No leaks and no problems that i can see..Yes I know the 6.0 cooler is probably the best choice but is this OK or not?

Also I did the cold air intake last night and well I used a different filter then the 6637 napa size..why cause i was doing some checking and found this filter at auto zone stock item on the shelves..so no ordering..and it was $18 So again is this filter Ok? I could not see the difference vs the 6637 except its just a little smaller. Its a STP SA8037 air filter.

If my pics did not come up on this post i will add them in the next..I have more questions also...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

http://http://www.autozone.com/autoz..._851520_19735_

Here are some pics and a link to the cooler i added. More to add on next post....
Attached Thumbnails
New cooler, new intake, and questions?-cooler.jpg   New cooler, new intake, and questions?-filter-3.jpg   New cooler, new intake, and questions?-filter-2.jpg   New cooler, new intake, and questions?-filter-1.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can someone please tell me what this is for? I know its a selinoid of some type..but the guy I bought this from has that little red wire on the front of it running into the fuse panel under the dash..in the side of a 10 amp fuse..when i move it...of course it clicks. But what is it for.

Its on the drivers side on the fire wall behind the fuse block.

YOU TUBE....7.3 High performance mods 1 of 3.....from bill at powerstroke help.

Ok i have been watching all of this Bill guys videos on You tube, and he seems pretty damn knowledgeable on the 7.3..What do you guys think of all his mods and steps for doing them..My big question here is the SCT tunner vs going with a burned chip like most of you suggest on here.

More to come......
Attached Thumbnails
New cooler, new intake, and questions?-selinoid.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK my last post..

Future plans and what i bought this truck for last summer have come to head..I have been talking to Hot shot guys from all over the country..I currently work in a weld/fabrication shop and we get tons of HOT SHOTS in picking up LTL loads from us..I have been picking there brains and fishing for info..

Well i have finally talked the right person and i am moving forward to do this..I am gona be running for a guy and i can say names yet..that has 9 other trucks going full time. I have already purchased a trailer..30' dove tail PJ deck over flat bed..14k GVW..why that cause he only runs up to 26k total..so no CDL required. My truck is GVW at 11200 and the trailer is at 14,000 so we stay under 26k. Witch i like that idea meaning my truck will never pull a load weighing more that 14,000ibs and that is includeing trailer weight.

So I am gearing up the truck for this..and I am turning to you guys for info on things i have to do or help full tips on keeping this truck intact..

first off i will be replacing the trany in the near future with a built one for towing heavy weight on a daily basis..Right now I cant afford it and this one is working perfectly yet..no issues..I just need to get about 2 month out of it..make some money..5k on a trany aint cheap.

truck just turned 160k and is very well maintained and taken care of..I will also be replacing the HPOP in the future and going to stage 1 injectors..as I have found out that the early 99 have a smaller HPOP and i guess smaller injectors..did not know this when i purchased this truck.

Chip...I want to add one but scared of tearing up the trany..so yes or NO intill I upgrade the trany?

what sensors or any thing would you guys keep on hand..meaning what are the stupid little overlooked things that will leave a person dead on the side of a road some place that you should keep on hand?

Ok so there it is..All feed back is welcome please..If I can think of more i will add. Also i want to add..I by no means Cheap..just trying to save as much as possible right now and cut a few corners if at all possible..My start up costs on this are about 10k so ya money is a little tight.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The tranny cooler is probably fine. The temp is the killer, you want to keep it down. Some guys don't like to run them in series I have read... but something is better than nothing.
As far as tunes- use a tuner that everyone on the forum recommends. They have accumilated alot of miles with these tunes and failure rates are very low.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pics of my rig

early 1999 F350 4x4 auto just turned a 160k motor still purrs like a kitten. Love it..well my neighbors dont LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
New cooler, new intake, and questions?-truck-2.jpg   New cooler, new intake, and questions?-truck-1.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to PSD POWER007
BTS or John Woods valve body for the tranny. As long as your temps don't get above 180 degrees or so, your cooler set up should be fine. If they do, the 26 row 6.0 cooler is the way to go.
That filter looks a lot smaller than the 6637, but will probably be fine for your use. HPOP, PIS injectors and a WW2 would be a good start along with a chip from Dyno Proven or Gearhead. Just my 2.5 cents
Old 05-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes this filter is smaller..the size measures 22.5 " around and 10.5" long..If anyone could post the size of the 6637 filter so we or I can see the difference.

Basically I am not against going to that 6637 size i am sure it is better, but how much better? to be able to walk into the store and buy the filter off the shelf for $18 vs having to order one every time for $30-40

Also I want to add that the air temp sensor now zip tied to the side of the filter read around 102* last night while driving for that hr..Like i said outside temp last night was around 70-75* so should i find a way to duct some more air towards this filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.