Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

should i be scared to hot rod a 400hp pmr truck????

10K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  RAMKILLER97 
#1 ·
so i have an 01 pmr f250 that i am slowly building, so far have mostly every piece of the 400hp puzzle besides injectors.

ive been reading that 400hp is pretty much the limit for a reliable pmr motor. is that the case???

i have a buddy in the area that has an 02 pmr making somewhere in the 400hp range and he claims hes nervous anytime he turns the tune up and romps on it that he never really does anymore. then whats the point in getting bigger injectors?!?!

i dont drive hard and beat on my truck, actually quite the opposite but i dont want to be scared to give a little jap burner a good dusting if its needed either.

i talked to the PIS boys and they recommended their 175/80's. I guess what im asking is if i get those injectors and put my truck in the 400hp range should i be sweating everytime i drive it with the tune turned up????

#2 ·
i wouldnt worry.

with good tuning 400hp isnt an issue.

500hp i would be more worried but some say 450-500hp is the new limit of pmrs since tuning has improved.

Reactions: LJT
#3 ·
perfect, thats what i wanted to hear!

theres guys making close to 500hp on a pmr?!

#4 ·
ya theres been a few.
they werent real vocal about it but they never had a rod break and exit the block :look:

#5 ·
wow, thats impressive. cant wait to get some new sticks for it!

i really need to do something about my tranny. my stoke tranny with 240,000 on it would be giving me the middle finger the whole time! haha

#6 ·
When you are on your death bed, you are not going to tell yourself "I wish I would have been easier on my truck". Its just an engine. Go out and have fun with it. AKA beat on it lol.

#8 ·
Yea I've heard it can be if tuned correctly and you're still chancing it then, u have made sure that they are PMR since you have an 01?

#9 ·
yes i have pmr, pulled the plug and unfortunately was meet with a stud head looking back at me :mad:

well thanks guys, that makes me excited!

#10 ·
My pmr chucked a rod, but I'm closer to 550 than 500, & dp tunes very aggresively so............ My 99 short block is getting prepped for a freshening as we speak.

#18 ·
holy **** binder! thats a bunch out of a pmr. my guess is i will end up being quite a ways away from 500. 400-430 would make me happy.

#11 ·
ya dp tunes have to much down low fueling aka touchy peddle.
this is what windows blocks.

php or gearhead have very conservative tuning, the peddle has a stock feel and is more linear.

#20 ·
when i first bought my truck it already had the ts chip with someones tunes on it, no idea who. they were reallllly touchy, it was sometimes hard to drive smooth cuz everytime you hit a pebble on the road it jumped! haha.

i now have php tunes and think theyre great!

if i end up going with the PIS injectors, which i probably will, ill probably end up using dyno proven. Thats who they recommended and who they do almost all of their work with is what i was told.

#19 ·
ya sorry bill, i meant to say bolt head, not stud head:doh:

#14 ·
When I get my new engine installed & running,after I get the bugs worked out of it it's going to php for a Dyno tuning session. I already have the hydra waiting.

Reactions: LJT
#15 ·
good idea cornbinder :nod:

DHH the powerstrokehelpguy is kinda goofy.
he has some wild ideas but has some good maintenance videos.

#16 ·
I can see how someone from Cali would think he is goofy as we may say that about people from Cali, :). He is from Georgia! He works on nothing but powerstrokes and has for years, has to have some great knowledge. I am more concerned with the longevity of my truck than making 900 HP.

I watched his tuning ideas for the 7.3, the methods for getting more fuel and the tunes make sense to me.

Getting that much more out of your truck with out destroying it is all good in my book. I think he follows the KISS method and doesn't take chances on screwing up an engine. IMHO anyway.

#17 · (Edited)
Bill has tuned a good number of 7.3ls running 400hp on PMRs with a very low failure rate.

That is not to say that it is impossible to happen but out of all the 400hp PMR motors tuned by Bill, less than 3% have experienced failure.

Hope that helps :)

--Edit --

Out of the polls that we have surveyed in the past, there is an astounding correlation between stage 2 injectors and bottom end engine failures.
Additionally, we have found that stage 2 injectors have a very low horsepower increase over the stage 1 injector. Low enough benefit that I do not recommend the additional $800 increase over stage 1s to get stage 2s.

#22 ·
no.
i think hes saying stage 3's are better.

im not knocking the guy from powerstrokehelp because hes from the south, he just has a couple of odd ideas.
and im from northern california, not southern. dont get the two confused :rofl:

#24 ·
I'll bet he says the bigger nozzle allows too much fuel to be injected at lower rpm which raises cylinder pressure too fast.
Obviously it's all in the tuning, but it takes some finesse whereas if there is smaller nozzle, they can't add the fuel too early

#26 ·
Steve's video is a 525+ hp truck on PMR's
Tunes by a local guy here

#28 ·
I would love to know this info.

#32 ·
Year of truck
And pull the plug and take a look good luck.

#33 ·
400hp is fine on any tuning other then one particular tuner...

#34 ·
:look:...........:rofl:

phps tuning is very linear and would be one of my choices if i had a pmr truck.

#38 ·
I ran 250/100's and a 38r 2 years ago on a pmr engine and I turned my rods into an s shape, have em hangin on my wall for a show piece. I hit 45lbs of boost and thats when it happened. No other damage at all though, none snapped. 400 should be just fine.

#39 ·
What HP did this setup make?

#40 ·
not really sure, only ran 2 months, I do know the 38r would not clean up all the fuel these injectors would put out. I told them when custom tuning i would be running these with a pmr engine, but who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.