4" turbo back recomendations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4" turbo back recomendations

I'm looking to buy a 4 inch turbo back system for my 03 superduty.I want to go with a stainless system since where I live rust is a huge issue.I've been doing lots of research in search for a system without breaking the bank and so far I found a pypes system for 300 or diamond eye for about 350 both kits come without a tip. My question is are these systems any good , haven't seen many reviews about them. Seems most people run mbrp, I should also mention I want to keep the muffler. So should I go the cheap route or spend the extra and go with an mbrp that comes with a tip and everything for somewhere around 500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Surprisingly diamond eye usually fits better than mbrp. The only problem some people have is with the downpipe and manual transmission trucks. I've never seen a diamond eye thread about it not fitting and have seen a couple about mbrp. I have diamond eye non stainless and didn't have any problems with install and have limited tools. Sawzall will help with removal of stock setup and you will want a friend to help clamp the new downpipe in place. Hard to be up top and push it up from the bottom.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGut View Post
I did alot of research on these forums before I bought my exhaust system in June. I learned that it all boils down to this:

For normal driving and towing, the performance difference from the stock 3.5" system to a 4" system is huge. The performance difference from the 4" system to a 5" system is rather negligible other than the sound/tone unless you run your truck near its limits such as racing or pulling where every little bit counts and you are running a larger turbo and injectors.

I decided to go with a Diamond Eye 4" stainless steel turbo back exhaust kit with muffler. I have a couple of friends who went with a straight pipe and ended up buying a muffler due to the whistle which is cool most of the time but annoying when driving through a quiet campsite or neighborhood late at night. I left the CAT off but held onto it in case I ever move to a place where I need to have one.

The attached pictures shows the difference between the stock and 4" system. It installed really easy in my driveway. I had my daughter help with installing the first pipe off the turbo, she held it up from below while I loosely installed the v-clamp to the turbo. After that, it was no problem.

It made a very noticeable difference in my EGT's when towing plus it sounds awesome when under load.

This is a post I did back in December and as an update... the truck is running strong and the exhaust sounds and performs great!

It was really easy to install in my driveway. I used a Sawsall to cut out the old exhaust. Having a helper made a big difference when installing the downpipe to the turbo.

I cant upload the pictures of my exhaust system from this computer but if you look back at my post in December 2013, you will see the pictures of the install and the incredible size differnce the 4" pipe is compared to the 3.5".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.