Rebuilding my ZF6 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rebuilding my ZF6 questions

So I need to buy a new clutch since I installed my Hydra and it started to slip. What are all the parts that you would replace and where is the best place to get them. I'm going to replace everything I would need and add it with the best stuff I can so I won't be dropping the trans again for a while.

SouthBend Clutch Kit 1944-60K (rated for 375/750)
New clutch fork (just one from Ford? Dealer said $44 but will this hold up to power?)
Midwest Short Shift Kit
Heard not to do hydraulics since you can do them w/out dropping the trans

I plan later on doing 180/100 injectors and a D66 turbo and adrenaline hpop, but not for a while but would this hold you think? I want to end up around the 400-450hp range. Does SouthBend seem to put their numbers low or high as to how they rate the clutch? This is my DD for now and I drive in the city with bumper to bumper so I don't want something that I'm gonna regret. Also how long is the break in period before I can really test it out? Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

The clutch fork effected by power, the original design just bends and breaks eventually.

Yes if your hydraulics are still good leave them alone they are so easy to change I wouldn't bother until its needed.

South bend does under rate the clutches, but if you want 450 I would get one of the other clutches in that line. Go to their website, there is two more options for around 450 in the 1944 series.

Midwest short throw is supposed to be amazing. I have one sitting on my shelf going in someday.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM

So do they make aftermarket clutch forks that wont bend or that are made of better material?

The truck still drives fine now unless I go more than about 75% throttle then it will slip, so I guess my hydraulics are good...anyway to diagnose that or do something while driving to see if they are good?

I don't want to get the higher up rated clutches for the DD reason and $$$
Old 05-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

[E=Tow51Stang;9083721]So do they make aftermarket clutch forks that wont bend or that are made of better material?

The truck still drives fine now unless I go more than about 75% throttle then it will slip, so I guess my hydraulics are good...anyway to diagnose that or do something while driving to see if they are good?

I don't want to get the higher up rated clutches for the DD reason and $$$[/QUOTE]

No.... You don't need one. The ones your get from Ford are an updated design that don't bend

If it drives fine, goes in 1,L,R fine Then your hydraulics are fine

All the 1944 clutches drive about the same. They feel like stock clutches, even the top one. They are actually nicer than the stock ones because they have a real soft pedal
Old 05-10-2014, 01:26 PM

All right thanks for the help! The only "problem" that I would say I have is that going from 1st to 2nd, it seems to be notchy like my racecar is with its short shift kit. Also when I go to reverse, I found the easiest way to make it go over is to just slap it and it pops over. I've never driven another ZF6 so I don't know if that's just normal. No grinding or missing gear ever though.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Put new fluid in and you're shifting will improve. This is a notchy trans but new full synthetic mercon 5 makes a difference
Old 05-10-2014, 01:40 PM

I replaced it 6k miles ago with mobil 1 syn and it seemed to help a little bit. I'm coming from a BMW 6 speed so it's a whole different world I guess
Old 05-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Yup nature of the beast... Especially compared to a BMW lol
Old 05-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Hahaha Thanks for all the help. Just wondering what 6" lift do you have for your e99
Old 05-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Mostly home made Lol

The front is rough country rear is me combining parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.