What to expect to upgrade injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 05:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to expect to upgrade injectors?

Well my E99 has some weak injectors after 200K miles now, the local diesel performance shop confirmed it. looking to do the work myself, Im confident i can complete the job but am curious to know what to expect on first start up or tips i may need. I will be leaving the truck stock besides the intake/exhaust, airdog fuel system, and will be using Swamps stage 2 single shots 175/146 injectors, i will be sending in my TS performance chip as soon as i order the injectors to get it reburned. I will also order the valve cover gaskets, wire harness, and glow plugs as well. I do plan on water injection within the next 6 months just to keep the EGTs down

what are the tips for the first start up? and will sending swamps my TS tuner be the best choice or should i fork up some extra cash to get someone else to do it? Im only using swamps because they give you free reburns with new injectors

Last edited by shordinges; 05-04-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

175/146 injectors are stage 1's.

power-struck has a deal going for 160cc injectors with free tunes for 1300.

i would say throw a billet wheel in your turbo otherwise its not going to like stage 1's, and you shouldnt need water-meth

hook up the truck to a battery booster to help start up and not drain the batteries

the airdog system isnt needed if you want to save money.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:44 PM

Plenty of happy people running swamps tuning. As far as first start I'd leave glow plugs out and turn motor over by hand to get bulk of fluids out. Disconnect UVCH's and bump the starter over a couple times to help get any remaining fluids out. Install glow plugs and hook everything back up. Getting it to fire off may take a few tries as you'll have some air in the system. May run a little rough till the air is out, but after that you can enjoy the power
Old 05-04-2014, 06:00 PM

The airdog system is already installed by a previous owner so I wont be spending that money. that 1300$ system sounds nice, is the extra 15cc not worth the extra 200$? I wanted the water injection because we have multiple mountain passes around us and before i had the injector problems it was difficult to keep the egts below 1200 at 65 mph. I pulled a 10K trailer over 2 of them a few months ago and couldnt go above 45 mph without hitting 1300 EGTs. im guessing that trip is what started to kill my injectors.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 PM

leaving the glow plugs out is a great tip. should it be easy to turn it over by hand since there is no compression? just wondering if a 3/4 ratchet will be enough or if i need a breaker bar. The billet wheel is a good idea while im in there and inexpensive for the most part, will i need to let swamps know i have it? I thought they were stage 2 injectors, what are the largest i can go with without changing the hpop and the stock turbo with the billet wheel?

On first start what should i expect? long crank time, white, grey, or black smoke? break in period? any symptoms that i should look for that something is wrong?

Last edited by shordinges; 05-04-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:26 PM

That should work, maybe slightly harder but not that bad. Turning over by hand isn't really necessary but it keeps from oil and diesel shooting everywhere if you bump it with the starter lol. Not to sure on what size injectors you can get without changing stuff out. Stock turbo won't like seeing over 25 psi for to long. Also if you're only going 45mph and seeing 1300 egt's you got a boost leak somewhere, tuning could be a lil off, or you should downshift. Maybe your up pipes are leaking?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:29 PM

I checked out power-struck and they have unbelievable prices with great reviews so i might switch to them. I found the 160cc stage 1s with free reburn for
$900, and 180/100 cc stage 2 single shots with reburn for $1400, still $100 cheaper than swamps 175s. is there a downside to the 180cc? I already had that budget set out to spend so i want to go a little bigger in case if my turbo craps out and i can install a bigger one down the road
Old 05-04-2014, 06:36 PM

I can look for a turbo leak, would explain the high EGTs, my boost guage is in the map line and reads about 24 psi max when im getting on it. just trying to hold a speed going up the pass at 60 I only run about 15 psi when the EGTs get hot. I do downshift but still had issues at 2500 rpm at 4th gear pulling that 10K trailer and the egts are still really hot. I have noticed that at my IC pipe rubber boot unions there is a build up of light oil and dirt, possibly indicating a leak in those areas, wouldnt be surprised after those temps after 15 years lol
Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 PM

There is a few write ups out there that are very good for swapping injectors. I know Swamps has one on their site.
If you're fairly familiar with 7.3s then you can expect to do this in 5 hours or so the first time. Take your time and don't mess anything up

The power struck 180/100 is a nice injector and he will burn your TS for you.
My bud got that same package and the tunes were good on the first try. Really smooth idle
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM

you gotta look into a the core exchange on powerstruck.
if you have split shot cores the price goes up.

the stock turbo is just fine over 24 psi.
i consistently run mine over 30. the benefit of the billet wheel is it keeps the drive pressures down and closer to 1/1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.