Compressor Wheel WARNING - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Compressor Wheel WARNING

To those thinking of installing aftermarket wheel please take note on installation. All of the websites are now warning not to use an impact to remove the wheel while the turbo is still installed. They recommend removing the entire turbo and simply using an "open end wrench" to remove the wheel while "holding the turbo shaft." Well, THERE'S NO WAY! I removed the turbo, figured out that there is no such way to do so, i even stuffed a sock into the exhaust side trying to bind the shaft enough to break the compressor wheel loose while using rubber mallet and said open end wrench. NOT HAPPENING. Funny story, the vanes on the exhaust side are angled incorrectly if you want to bind them in order to remove the intake wheel, but are the correct angle needed to tighten the replacement wheel- which doesnt need to be anything more than "snug". I ended up very very softly using air impact in the end to get it broken loose. this is a bad situation that needs to be attended to since everyone is threatening that an impact will create stress cracks in the turbo shaft but yet do not have any other way to swap wheel unless you tear the turbo all the way down to a pile of parts. the exhaust side of the turbo wont be easily broken down by harry homeowner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

You use a screwdriver or something wrapped in a shop rag to hold the turbine wheel from spinning with the turbo removed.

You didn't follow the instructions and had problems, go figure. They warn not to use impacts for a damn good reason
Old 04-21-2014, 06:07 PM

ya i did my buddies with a screwdriver wrapped in a couple paper towels, worked fine.

i have seen tutorials that said use channel locks to hold the ex wheel, that would be a pain.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM

I will throw in my 2 cents worth, but back in 1986-87 I worked in a diesel shop rebuilding injector's, injector pumps, turbo's, supercharger's for diesel equipment and truck's. We used air tools for almost all tear down's, and then torque wrench's for reassembly.

Me I would have somehow held the wheel with either a sock covered screw driver or wooden dowel so I could break loose the nut.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just out of curiousity, Has anyone seen a failure (broken shaft) from the use of an airgun to remove the compressor wheel.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:10 AM
Premium Member

Not in person but there have been a few threads where people have had it happen. I don't think I know anybody who would do something like that.

For the amount of time it takes to do it properly I can't believe people would impact it.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 AM

It's because people watch a video on 'YouTube" of a guy using a impact gun, and because he's a Powerstroke Expert they think's it's OKAY
Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 AM

LOL... I've removed hundreds of compressor wheels, all with a socket on the end of the exhaust wheel...

You had an issue, so now there needs to be a recall for all compressor wheels on the market...

I bet if you spilled hot coffee on your lap you would file a lawsuit huh?

I gave a guy a stock turbo that broke his shaft installing a WW with an impact...
dfuzz78 likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kay View Post
Just out of curiousity, Has anyone seen a failure (broken shaft) from the use of an airgun to remove the compressor wheel.
here, here. Bought my 1st w.w., when i lerned about them, when buying my truck. Removed/installed while in the truck. However, not knowing a turbo...installed the wheel thinking all was good. Comressor housing even installed with no binding on fins. No in/out..up/down play. Low and behold, 1 month later, get'n on freeway, she blew sky-high.

Come to find out, the w.w. set on the shaft, was not correct. The shaft needs to protrude from within the w.w. by 3/16-1/4in...MINE WAS FLUSH. So, impact didnt "set" the shaft correctly with wheel being installed...

FWIW...i installed a BDP w.w., glad turbo was off then too, since the threads seemed tapered. If not with turbo apart and socketing the w.w. on first, i'd have a mess on my hands. Had to install that b#tch, then back her off, then re-install again....
Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 AM

When I didn't know any better back in the day. I put my old WW on my stock turbo while it was in the truck. I stuck a screwdriver in the exhaust housing wheel and unscrewed the compressor wheel. Then fast forward 10-20k miles I pulled the turbo and removed the exhaust housing. One of the exhaust fins was bent.

This last time, I just pulled the GTP38R. Stuck it in a vice and everything came apart easily. Just used wrenches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.