7.3 icp vs injector pulse width problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 02:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 icp vs injector pulse width problems?

My 7.3 running no tunes stock runs icp at wide open hot holds 2700 psi with 39% ipr pulse width is roughly 2.67m/s. Now, when I run my chip, ts chip, i get I spike 2700psi with roughly 2.8 m/s with 43 % ipr. At wide open, the injector m/s go up and the icp pressure goes down to roughly 1300 psi with 60% ipr. So, the m/s usually goes to about 4.25 m/s and the icp goes way down. Why so much m/s? Is this because my hpop cannot keep up so its expanding the injector open time? Engine gets really loud when this happens, like the injectors get loud and the engine drones a lot, probably due to timing change and starving of fuel and oil im guessing. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 03:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It appears from your numbers your HPOP is not keeping up.

When I data logged my 160/100's with a stock 15* hpop on PHP tunes I was seeing bursts hitting 3500psi at WOT then leveling off as speed was getting up there to 2200psi. Duty cycle was in line but I dont recall exact numbers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-20-2014, 04:02 AM
Premium Member

I figured that was the problem. I have a stealth srp1.1 waiting to go in, but I am going through my forged block right now, and will be putting bigger injectors in, so the pump will go with that motor. Also, Im getting rid of one truck soon, just not sure what one yet. I have a 2006 6.0 which is very nice to drive, but the 7.3 just sticks with me more. What injectors are you running right now? And do you like them?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

250/200's from FullForce. SRP 1.1. 38R ww2. And the rest of the normal supporting mods.

Hopefully you have a good trans to bolt up to it when its done.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:24 AM
Premium Member

lol, well thats another story, i cannot afford a bts right now, but I will be rebuilding my core transmission that i have, torque converter, i have a john wood valve body to go into it. What converter would you recommend? Any other mods to make it hold up? Hows the driveability of those injectors?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:28 AM
Premium Member

have you ever driven a 6.0 with a custom tune? how does the 7.3 with your mods compare to the 6.0 if you have driven one? I like reliability of the 7.3, and the 6.0 even studded and deleted makes me nervous pushing it. Im not really happy with the response of the 6.0, you have to push it to get any power out of it, where as the 7.3 seems right there. well, my 7.3 is not as much there, but i know it could be there, lol.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:43 AM
Premium Member

Im thinking about pulling the trigger on 250/200's. are they easy to tune? 38r clean them up ok? Hows the drive pressures? I used to have a 7.3 with 250/100's with 38r, not wicked wheel though and it smoked bad and I turned my pmr rods into an s shape, lol, i told them to tune it for pmr's???, hehehe, that learned me real good.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertech79 View Post
lol, well thats another story, i cannot afford a bts right now, but I will be rebuilding my core transmission that i have, torque converter, i have a john wood valve body to go into it. What converter would you recommend? Any other mods to make it hold up? Hows the driveability of those injectors?
At the very least then get yourself a trans cooler for a 6.0l. That will help a lot. The TC is a Precsion Industries, it comes with the trans from Brian. I honestly have no true good experience with other TC's to compare with diesels. Names to consider though are ATS, PATC, Edge converters. But I really dont have any good or bad info about them.

Injectors are very DD friendly. I'd say you could be safe up to 300/200's for DD use with good tunes. For my DD/tow tune I do like Gearhead. Smooth even shifting. I hauled a nice size lifted Liberty home from 4hr trip and mileage was still 17mpg. EGT's never got higher than 1000* going up sustained grades.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
have you ever driven a 6.0 with a custom tune? how does the 7.3 with your mods compare to the 6.0 if you have driven one? I like reliability of the 7.3, and the 6.0 even studded and deleted makes me nervous pushing it. Im not really happy with the response of the 6.0, you have to push it to get any power out of it, where as the 7.3 seems right there. well, my 7.3 is not as much there, but i know it could be there, lol.
Never driven a 6.0. But have many friends on here that have both. Seems maybe you have some minor issues with your 6.0 keeping it from running well. As most say the 6.0 is a very responsive truck compared to the 7.3.

Someday I will own one but too many other projects that there's no more room on the stove right now. :p

Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Im thinking about pulling the trigger on 250/200's. are they easy to tune? 38r clean them up ok? Hows the drive pressures? I used to have a 7.3 with 250/100's with 38r, not wicked wheel though and it smoked bad and I turned my pmr rods into an s shape, lol, i told them to tune it for pmr's???, hehehe, that learned me real good.
Probably smoked bad due to bad tuning. Way too much fuel causing high pressures. Who did the tuning?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.