7.3 short block build ?'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 short block build ?'s

Building a short block for my crew cab. Truck made 550 before it chucked a pmr rod. I have a 99 motor lined up. At that power level do I need to stud& girdle the bottom end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Wow, I think I'd get more input on the dodge forum......
Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Not many guys build these motors to the point where you need that stuff. Best off talking to a builder
w
Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 PM

Oh I see. I spoke with Jody at dp tuner. I have got my gameplan in place. It's gonna be fun!!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

Lol.... And you won't find hardly anybody who builds engines to that degree that would run Jody's tuning... Let Alone listen to his advice.

Especially since he's not an engine builder so... Yeah
The Following User Says Thank You to schlutzer For This Useful Post:
hucorey (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn binder View Post
Building a short block for my crew cab. Truck made 550 before it chucked a pmr rod. I have a 99 motor lined up. At that power level do I need to stud& girdle the bottom end?
No, you dont need a crank girdle but you will need studs, forged rods to run 550hp. What are you wanting to accomplish HP wise with this build? More than before?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to hucorey For This Useful Post:
schlutzer (04-17-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 AM

I'm doing early pre 2000 oem ford forged rods, main studs, heads studs. I've got the parts to make good power, a modified bell HFSB turbo, 238/100 inj's, fass fuel system, regulated return lines,adrenaline hpop, hypermax intercooler& base, cm pushrods crower valve springs, BTS trans/ converter. I want it to be reliable, so I'm not concerned about squeezing everything out of it. I'd like to be 550-600 in race tune. It can be de tuned to did& towing. Scheitzer, you are obviously not a fan of Jodi at dp. Enlighten me please. Who should I use?jodi live tuned it on the Dyno last year......
Old 04-18-2014, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn binder View Post
I'm doing early pre 2000 oem ford forged rods, main studs, heads studs. I've got the parts to make good power, a modified bell HFSB turbo, 238/100 inj's, fass fuel system, regulated return lines,adrenaline hpop, hypermax intercooler& base, cm pushrods crower valve springs, BTS trans/ converter. I want it to be reliable, so I'm not concerned about squeezing everything out of it. I'd like to be 550-600 in race tune. It can be de tuned to did& towing. Scheitzer, you are obviously not a fan of Jodi at dp. Enlighten me please. Who should I use?jodi live tuned it on the Dyno last year......
Not many people all the thrilled with DP. Especially their last hoorah on here that really made them look classless. I personally won't ever do business with them ever because of Diane's lack of professionalism. There is a wonderful thread that will show you all of it. Anywhoo

Btw, thats a pretty nice setup, but not sure if your really gonna push 550-600 with only 238/100's. 250/200's or 300'200's yes.

Get rid of your FASS system, it will not support it reliably. Go with an Aeromotive A1000 or Fuel lab Prodigy. For piece of mind you can install a bed plate but its not necessary yet for that HP. It would be about another $1000 at least for machine work as it is highly unrecommended to just bolt on a crank bed plate.

I'm running similar parts but with 250/200's and my fuel system and I've modified my heads for big oil. I had my mods listed but I had to remove them to fit my new SIG now, . If you need anything let me know.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:02 AM

Who do u suggest for custom tuning? Php? As for fuel system, I went from air dog( which was horrible) to a fass system. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to purchase a aero motive pump& plumb it in& remove the fass pump. I'm not gonna jump up inj's as I use this truck to ocassionally tow my 30 ft gooseneck. If it only makes 500 hp I'm fine with that. Can u pm me your phone # we can text back& forth?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 AM

Is Jodi not a good tuner? Or was there just some bad blood between some people on here? I know several people that r experts in what they do, yet they r horrible with customer service. I've heard people complain about php, I have had nothing but good dealings with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.