Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Can't remove bullydog..help

17K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Chatham036 
#1 ·
I have a slight problem- When I bought the truck it came with a POS bullydog gt tuner. I finally got around to ordering the hydra chip from PHP, and went to sell the bullydog.
When going through the uninstall process on the bullydog, it requires you midway through to switch the key to the run position from the off position. In my truck when this happens, the OBD port loses power for a split second causing the process to start all over again. Basically, I can't uninstall this chitty bullydog and now have a pissed buyer.
Can I overlap my PHP chip while the bullydog is still installed on my PCM?
Its not plugged in, but the truck is still tuned. Any way to remove it from the pcm with a reflash or overwrite file?
Any advice/ help appreciated..

#2 ·
the chip from php will over ride whatever is on the pcm. so you should be fine just hook the chip up and go

#3 ·
you could try tapping a 12 volt constant power wire temporarily into pin 16 to keep the bullydog alive for the process. maybe check to make sure you're actually getting 12 volts there and your fuse isn't blown. maybe the bullydog only uses the 5 volt power pins?

#4 ·
Isn't the bully dog a piggy back tuner like edge and banks? It's just a matter of unplugging it isn't it??

#6 ·
for the edge you have to go through a process to remove the programming from the PCM and return to the stock set up it has stored in the module. i imagine that the bullydog works the same way.

to program your truck with one of these, you plug it in, got through a 5 minute process and then unplug it. every time you want to change settings you have to go through the process again. this is why the switchable chips became so popular instead.

#7 ·
Oh...I breifly ran an Edge on my 6.0 and Duramax...it had its own box that plugged up I between the PCM and the engine harness. I thought the bully dog was the same way. Didn't know it actually flashed the PCM.

#9 ·
No need to worry about the stock PCM flash right now. The Hydra won't care about it. You can deal with a reflash whenever it's convienent for you.

#11 ·
I saw this on their site

11. When installing my Bully Dog product on my 99-03 7.3 Power Stroke the Bully Dog device gets stuck on turn key to run position.
If the Bully Dog device sticks when it tells you to turn key to the run position, you most likely have the wrong fuses pulled. 99-01 pull fuse 16 and 19 02-03 pull fuses 35 and 41.

You should probably call their tech support #

#13 ·
Update...
Installed the Hydra. Everything seemed normal at first key turn, but would just turn over without starting. Turns out battery was halfway dead. Found this after removing the chip, and it starts fine now without it. Going to buy the bullydog back from the buyer today

#14 ·
Hey buddy, just to recap our conversation this morning...

Remove the chip from your PCM ( also retrieve the PCM code while your at it )

Connect your chip to the computer

go to box hex conversion

type your PCM code in on the top left

towards the middle of the dialog you will see a recommended hex. Use this code to select your tunes from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.