ts chip wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ts chip wont start

Hey I got a ts chip for my truck and installed it two days ago. It worked great when I installed it with no issues. The truck sat yesterday being that I had the day off,and than thismorning it wouldnt start. I had no wait to start light which I had after installing the chip the other day. I disconnected the batteries and pulled the chip out and the trucl fired right up,So i disconnected the batteries again to plug the chip back in to assure it had a good connection. It still wouldnt start so I played with it a little more but still the same result so I just pulled the chip out. I emailed the company I bought it from thismorning but they havent gotten back to me yet so I figured maybe someone on here would know something about it I didnt. I read alot of people having starting problems due to not cleaning the connections good enough but I dont think thats my case because i had the chip working the other day. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

might have to clean a tiny bit more.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasult View Post
might have to clean a tiny bit more.
It just doesnt make sence to me why it would work fine the first day and than stop, I figured if it wasnt getting a good enough connection it wouldnt work at all. But if it comes down to it guess ill have to thanks.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Vibrations will cause weird things, like closing the door bumped it just right. But yes, it sounds just like a bad connection issue.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Clean it again. It may not make sense but that's the culprit. I had this problem too. Worked great for months, but when the temps dropped come winter, the truck wouldn't start. Take a razor and drag the edge over each connection on the computer. If you see any silicone come off then you didn't do a good enough job cleaning it.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright I guess ill pull the computer and clean the connections more to see if it helps. Ive read of some people over cleaning the pins and it not working at all. Could this be done or is that just bs?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:59 PM

Mine ran fine for about a month or so after installing the chip, and then out of nowhere it died and wouldn't start. Turned out I cleaned too much off the PCM and had to send it off to get re-tinned.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ranger30 View Post
Mine ran fine for about a month or so after installing the chip, and then out of nowhere it died and wouldn't start. Turned out I cleaned too much off the PCM and had to send it off to get re-tinned.
So that being the case how would I know weather I didnt clean enough or cleaned too much?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:09 PM

If you cleaned it too much, there will be brass showing through the contacts. If you cleaned too little then there is probably still a little bit of silicon still on the contacts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ranger30 View Post
If you cleaned it too much, there will be brass showing through the contacts. If you cleaned too little then there is probably still a little bit of silicon still on the contacts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I have a buddy that works on circuit boards at work and he told me that I want the brass to show because thats the conducting part is that not true in this case? Btw I cleaned it more and its working now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.